Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing new 2" lowering leaf springs on the rear of my 55.They came from Eckler's.The problem is they seem too long,and put the lower part of the spring almost right against the rear shackle mount.and hit it when pushing down on the car like the spring is too long.Called tech at eckler's,said they have never heard of this.Anybody out there had this problem before.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
Shackles are flipped. Installed correctly, but you just need to roll them and spring back under. Jack the car back up allowing the rear end to drop down and then take a bar between the spring and roll on around. Loosen off on the shackle bolts first to keep from killing the bushings.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,357 Posts
Shackles are flipped. Installed correctly, but you just need to roll them and spring back under. Jack the car back up allowing the rear end to drop down and then take a bar between the spring and roll on around. Loosen off on the shackle bolts first to keep from killing the bushings.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any pics of the correct position of spring? Im not sure I understand the bar deal.If I flip the shackle, It will be into the trunk floor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi, I am concidering just such a purchase from Ecklers. Couple of questions. Is the spring 4 or 5 leaf? Did you tighten the shackles before or after the tires were under load? Regards, Steve

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The shackles are installed correct... That spring looks to be to long. :confused0006:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I just finished installing new 2" lowering leaf springs on the rear of my 55.They came from Eckler's.The problem is they seem too long,and put the lower part of the spring almost right against the rear shackle mount.and hit it when pushing down on the car like the spring is too long.Called tech at eckler's,said they have never heard of this.Anybody out there had this problem before.

They never heard of this? What a load. Isn't that the line the repro sheet metal sellers/manufacturer's use daily? They probably hear it all the time. I had the same experience, though to a lesser degree, with a set of lowering springs purchased from a company in the east. The name escapes me presently. I think that these springs are not properly designed lowering springs which would maintain the center-to-center distance of the spring eyes. They are dearched springs which would increase the center-to-center distance. Your installation certainly looks like they are going to hit. If they hit you are going to have problems.

Vendor referenced above
www.chevychevy.com
Frank Botte (RIP)
987 Steele Blvd,
Baldwin N.Y.11510
**1955 Rear 5 Leaf Springs 2" Lower...$219.95 Pair.

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
The shackles are installed correctly and the springs appear to be too long.

As far as the Eckler's guy on the phone never hearing of this, it's quite possible. He may have started yesterday.

Spring length should be meausred along the spring, measuring in a straight line is useless unless the arch is measured too.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I can't speak for these springs, but the ones I just bought from Cliff's Classic Chevrolet fit perfect "even a caveman can do it..." I also found a little trick when installing them. Put the front eyelet/bushing bolt in first, then swing it up and put in the rear. Went together for me with ease. The stance is perfect too.

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts