Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the whole weekend in the dually driving. Guy had made me an offer for a trade on my 49 Ford F-1. This truck had literally been the truck from **** ever sense I brought it home about a year and a half ago. There was not a single system on that truck I had not replaced. I had just completed and engine swap removing the 351W that came in it and putting in a Early Hemi. The Hemi came with a 700r4 and that also was the most miserable combination I have ever installed. I pulled the 700R4 after the first test drive and installed a borg Warner 4 speed. That turned out real well and that old truck was finally right where I wanted it.

Then a monkey wrench jumps up in the form of this trade deal, and right when I am thinking the truck is going to work after all. Out of the blue a guy calls me from Pennsylvania in answer to an ad I had put on RacingJunk.com over 40 days ago and had complettly forgotten as I never did reciece any offers that were realistic, and no offers at all in the past 3 weeks or so. Guy has a 57 2 door wagon. Built car with almost everything done, new crate 383, newly built Muncie M21, new interior, new tires etc, etc you get the idea. the 57 also had just about the ugliest set of Flames and hood Scoop I ever did see. But the paint was fresh and it was after all a 57 Chevy. We talk sevreal times on the phone and strike a deal. I will do the traveling ( 705 ) miles one way. I retain the right of refusal if the car is not exactly as he says and he mails me the title before I leave. I send him a picture of the truck from every concievable angle, on the lift, off the lift inside the fender wells and of just about everything on the truck, if after seeing the pictures if he agrees to trade he DOES NOT have a right of refusal, when I bring the truck it's his. Only I can get to choose which one I bring home. That was a hard deal and one I was pretty sure he wouldn't want to agree to, but in the case and with us so far apart it was my way or no way. Well I get the title in the mail in 2 days and he does in fact agree, and man does he want that truck.

As I said I spent the whole weekend driving, and you know that evil old truck fought me every inch of the way up there. We had 4 straps break on the trailer. Four of them, I have hauled literally dozens and dozens of times and never ever had even one strap break and now four??

Got there and just loved the 57 except for that scoop and those flames, but I can deal with that. here's a few pictures tell me what you think guys But please be gentle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
You're being too harsh! The car looks fine, with or without scoop and flames. Happy for you to be rid of that evil F***!! Where in PA were you?

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
great story Hombre, glad you got the wagon. if you don't like the scoop and flames you can fix that. It's a good looking car.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Don't know what the F1 looked like, but you got the better end of the deal. That wagon has much better value, and sale-ability in the futrure. :anim_25:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nice 57!! You have plenty of time to make it right, Just enjoy it the rest will follow! No bad comments here, just hope "Christine" the truck doesn't follow You home!!

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Quote;Please be gentle..
If you are worried that the members here are going to tear down your car,You are on the wrong site.
I've hauled a real junker home & the folks here had only positive things to say about it.
After I had worked on it for a while,I posted a progress report on another site and was berated and handed my *** on a platter.(Not actually a platter,more like a rusty piece of floorboard):sign0020:
Beautiful car..:party0031:

·
Registered
66,282 Posts
very cool 57, congrats. :five:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
All I can do is echo what others have said.

I'd let that Wagon set in my drive any day of the week.

Okay. I'd probaly loose the scoop, but the flames could stay for now. :happy0030:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Looks to me like it was a win-win trade. You got rid of your problem child to a guy that really wanted it and got a good looking '57 wagon in trade:congrats:

Yep I agree with you about the flames and scoop but it is still a good looking car...nothing a new hood and front clip paint couldn't remedy.

7,082 Posts
Hey Hombre. Eye of the beholder !!!! Everybody happy is always a good deal. Between the 57 and the little black Ford in the background, looks to me like you made out like a bandit. Must agree on front, but if you decide to change it, a hood and a little paint can cure that easily. Congratulations and ENJOY. :congrats: Lloyd

Attachments

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I like that 57:tu and agree with you on flames/scoop... Later, Dave

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Congratulations!!

Great trade! Nice looking wagon - enjoy! :wavey:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Folks, Thats what I was looking for, can't stand rejection, and a feller always wonders if it was right. I mean its done but you or at least I always wonder.

Got to drive the 57 today as I went to DMV and the insurance guy of course needs pictures and such. Man it is a cool little car. can't tell you how many folks wanted to look at it and two guys at DMV wanted to buy it. Ended up putting about 50 miles on it and I do like it a lot, still quite a bit to do to make it mine but thats always the fun part. I am aquiring a few of these Tri Fives this one makes three but I'm done for awhile I think, now its time to drive, but the questions arises Which One?? In my younger days I never had a problem like this, not complaining it is a cool problem to have.

Thanks guys!!!
Roland

Attachments

·
Administrator
48,728 Posts
The which one problem is an easy one. Make up a calendar and assign a day te each one and then drive that car that day. Or if it is still a problem bring one of them to Texas and i`l help remedy the problem. :D
Terry

·
Registered
933 Posts
Even with the flames and mailbox scoop that's one bitchin' wagon.

That's a very nice collection you have there but where's the '56?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts