Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. First I want to thank everyone who helped me out Friday evening. I was new to the site and I have had my 57 Bel Air for only about 6 weeks. I took it in on Friday 8/20 to have an oil change and the ignition switch repaired. The garage I took it to also looked at the carburetor as it was idling and stalling when the car would be first started but after I would let the car sit and warm up for about 10 minutes before I drove it, it never stalled again.
Through great direction on this site, I was able to get the lights working through a wire that was not connected properly during the installation of the ignition switch by the garage who performed the repairs. That was problem 1 solved. Thanks again Don!!

Problem 2 started today. I had the opportunity today to take her out and make sure the carburetor wasn’t worse than it was before. After starting the car and waiting for her to warm up, I took her out and upon turning onto a major intersection the car stalled and I could not get it started back up. Three nice guys got out and pushed me over to the side of the road. I was super ******. I had my son in the car with me and this was a dangerous intersection. I am taking it back to the garage hopefully tomorrow if all goes well. This car was running perfectly before they screwed with it. Clearly they messed up the ignition switch as I needed to come to this site to get that fixed and now the carburetor was worse than before.

I am looking for any insight from all of you that clearly have way more experience than I do. I was so nervous about having anyone work on my new Bel Air (new to me of course) and my fears were realized.

I am in Harford County Maryland Zip Code 21085 . Can anyone advise 1.) What I should be looking for when these knucklehead mechanics try to fix my car again and 2.) Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in my area and lastly 3.) I’ll take any feedback from all you seasoned folks. Any help or feedback you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading...Don Dellone.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Problem 2 started today. I had the opportunity today to take her out and make sure the carburetor wasn’t worse than it was before. After starting the car and waiting for her to warm up, I took her out and upon turning onto a major intersection the car stalled and I could not get it started back up. Three nice guys got out and pushed me over to the side of the road. I was super ******. I had my son in the car with me and this was a dangerous intersection. I am taking it back to the garage hopefully tomorrow if all goes well. This car was running perfectly before they screwed with it. Clearly they messed up the ignition switch as I needed to come to this site to get that fixed and now the carburetor was worse than before.

I am looking for any insight from all of you that clearly have way more experience than I do. I was so nervous about having anyone work on my new Bel Air (new to me of course) and my fears were realized.

I am in Harford County Maryland Zip Code 21085 . Can anyone advise 1.) What I should be looking for when these knucklehead mechanics try to fix my car again and 2.) Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in my area and lastly 3.) I’ll take any feedback from all you seasoned folks. Any help or feedback you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading...Don Dellone.
I lived in Harford County, MD for 35 years before retiring and moving to Florida. Lived in Fallston, worked in Bel Air. :D

I'd call Tony Faby in Rising Sun, MD. If you can't find his number, drop me a PM here.

Tony's old shop, that still bears his name is in Bel Air. He sold that biz. Call him in Rising Sun (Cecil County). I bought my 56 from Tony. I've known him for 25 years.

I'm curious as to what garage you used to work on the 57?

Chuck

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If you care to do a little diagnostics yourself start with two of the basics. Spark and fuel. First check to insure you have spark at the spark plugs. You can do this by pulling one spark plug and re-install the wire. Then while someone holds the spark plug base to a ground, turn the key and watch for spark at the plug tip. If you see spark move onto the carb. BTW what carb are you running? Remove the air cleaner from the carb and hold open the choke butterfly plate and manually open the throttle wide open a few times. Do this while looking down into the carb and see if your getting a good stream of fuel squirting into the base of the carb. If not you may have found the problem. Pour a little gas directly into the carb ( about a small shot glass should do) while holding the throttle open and then turn the key. The engine should run until the fuel you added is burned off. You just ID'd your carb as the probable cause. I say probable because it could also be a fuel pump failure.

Don

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I should have posted that I see by your ZIP Code that you're in Joppa, MD.

PM (Private Message) me or drop me an EMail.

I lived about 10 miles up Mountain Road in Fallston for 35 years.

Is your 57 a 6 cylinder or V8?

Old cars can be a PITA. I've fooled with cars for 50 years, and I don't qualify to carry the gym bag of many of the guys on this forum. :D That being said, you're going to have to learn to be your own "tinkerer".

Modern shops today, and modern mechanics too have probably NEVER fooled with a carburetor or points distributor. They grew up in the electronic FI era. They're familiar with HEI ignitions, crank trigger distributors, etc., but probably know beans about old cars.

Join the Harford Region of the AACA. They're pretty active in the county. LOTS of "old guys" who know how to fool with "old cars". :D

Chuck

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
As Wraplock suggested the two things to check would be spark and fuel.

A similar thing happened to me recently about 1 month after getting a full service done, with replacing the cardie, tune, new plugs, points, condensor, and leads.

The issue turned out to be with the points, there is a locking clip which "locks" the srew which adjusts the points gap, this clip had come loose and therefore the screw was able to vibrate and close the points, therefore, i was getting very limited spark.

So i adjusted the points and replaced the clip and haven't had a problem since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts