Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you guys are into drag racing, and especially nostalgia stuff, so I figured I'd spread the word about a new book called Lost Drag Strips. I developed an interest in this subject a couple years ago, and pitched the idea to CarTech Books. They bit on it, so I found myself knee deep in a very cool project. I'll admit that it's not "all inclusive" because there aren't enough pages to cover all of the abandoned drag strips. I covered many great tracks, showing pictures during the heyday, as well as modern day pictures. This book covers drag strips across the United States, and features LOTS of never-before-seen pictures. It's 160 pages and I was fortunate enough to have a bunch of great contributors, including Don Garlits, who wrote the foreword.

The book officially comes out on February 15th and it should be available in most major book stores, as well as many online book stores. It is currently available for pre-order on Amazon at a discounted rate. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Drag-Str...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350926815&sr=1-2

·
Premium Member
1955 Chevy Belair 2dr. post 440 cu. in. SBC
1,422 Posts
Good old Glory Day's!!

:tu :bowtieb:Very interesting!!---I'll spring for one!!---Thanks for posting:tu---milton:)

·
Registered
623 Posts
I used to run at 4 different strips in this area. 3 were 1/4 mile, Pence, Van Wert & Muncie, Kettlersville was 1/8! Muncie is the only one still racing!!!

Bo

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Sounds like its going to be a great book,Don Garlits has always been one of my favorite drivers,Tommy Ivo too.They always had big turnouts at Lions Dragstrip.
Big Bob:flag4::bowtier:

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Lost

We have one about 4 miles from here. Mid Carolina drag strip. It's about 5 miles out of Batesburg, SC. Grown over in pines now. Worked there in my teens selling tickets & working in concession stand. Have a lot of cherished memories from those times. Van

·
Registered
37,778 Posts
My feelings are mixed on the "lost" locations. Many of them deserved it for one reason or another. What I miss is an attitude from a day gone by, for a few of them. Others not so much.

Some of their replacments are much nicer facilities too.

How about you guys listing a place you've been to that you liked for whatever reason, or just went to a lot. I'll start.

Dallas International Speedway - only went there a few times. Nice facility when it opened but it deteriorated quickly before its demise.

Green Valley in Fort Worth, TX - raced there a lot, it was OK, I was never attached to it. In the last few years, the clocks were hot. Some guys loved that, I wasn't too enthused about it. The year after it closed, Texas Motorplex opened. It was the first of the super tracks. I remember the fuel cars going really fast, but also a lot of sportsman cars crashing hard when it first opened.

Laplace, LA - a fast track because of the low elevation. I remember the first time I went there I got my pickup stuck in the mud in the pits and Dyno Don Nicholson helped get it out.

Tyler, Texas - had a lot of fun there, but it was a strange track, uphill at the end and short.

Hallsville, Texas - had a lot of fun there too, but it was a hell hole in the summer and very rough in the shut down.

Porter, Texas - had a lot of fun there too, the crowd at Hallsville and Porter really got into it, but it wasn't a very good facility. I really liked going there because we always did well and the owner treated us very good.

San Antonio Raceway - a real hell hole, junk track and dangerous. Glad it's gone.

Orange County Raceway in CA - only raced there once, just before it closed. The place had a lot of history, the track itself was ok but nothing special.

Ontario Motoro Speedway in CA - only raced there once also. I remember not being able to see the nearby mountains for the smog until the last day we were there. Not an impressive track.

Fremont Raceway in CA - hot clocks, crummy track.

There's probably more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Sorry if you think this is negative. I could relate some stories about some of these, things that made some experiences special. I could also list a bunch of tracks that still exist and comment on them. Some are really good tracks.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,289 Posts
Tommy, Do you have any info on LACR (aka kings raceway or palmdale intl raceway) in your book?
for Rick L,
My home away from home was LACR in Palmdale, Ca. Not the best, but it was my home away from home for 20+ years. It has been gone since 2007. I sure miss home. I have raced at Famoso, in Bakersfield for the last 5 years but the place is run like crap and the people are A-holes. Anywhere else is 3 or 4 hrs away. Thinking of not racing anymore. I might put the old car back on the street with a 5.3 ls and drive the crap out of it. Keep the new car in the shop in case I get the urge.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for posting!! There was a 5+ min video from Fremont Drag strip (baylands was the new name some time before it closed). Wow did it bring back memories! I used to live in Fremont and could hear them often from our home. We ran some of our street cars there too, even ran my girlfriend’s car (now my beautiful wife). I remember the pit area being really rough with holes, very uneven pavement and gravel, but it didn't matter, it was great! If you see the video there are some signs/billboards behind the staging/burnout area this was a tunnel to cross over to the spectator side from the pits. One weekend they had some jet cars running, well they lined up and as they were powering up the plywood tunnel came apart and I remember seeing plywood flying all around, it was crazy! Just sitting here with a big grin. Lots of great memories I have from there. Weds nights were Grudge nights, now that was a blast! Remember a lot of street cars from Fremont and all around did show up and run at grudge nights.
Thanks again Jim
:tu:tu:tu:tu:tu:tu:tu

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tommy, Do you have any info on LACR (aka kings raceway or palmdale intl raceway) in your book?
for Rick L,
My home away from home was LACR in Palmdale, Ca. Not the best, but it was my home away from home for 20+ years. It has been gone since 2007. I sure miss home. I have raced at Famoso, in Bakersfield for the last 5 years but the place is run like crap and the people are A-holes. Anywhere else is 3 or 4 hrs away. Thinking of not racing anymore. I might put the old car back on the street with a 5.3 ls and drive the crap out of it. Keep the new car in the shop in case I get the urge.
Unfortunately, no I don't have any LACR info or photos in the book. There were so many tracks in Southern California, that I had to hit "the high points" with Lions, OCIR and Riverside as my main So-Cal features.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts