Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 57 clock fixed. I know I have asked this before but I am still confused. I put a 3amp fuse on the clocks power line. When I got my clock back from repair The reason given for the fuse is if the voltage gets to LOW it can ruin the magneto. So it was suggested to put the battery on a trickle charge or disconect the battery altogether,

I thought it was the other way around a voltage surge would fry the clock that's why you put the fuse in. Can someone explain this to me . Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my 57 clock fixed. I know I have asked this before but I am still confused. I put a 3amp fuse on the clocks power line. When I got my clock back from repair The reason given for the fuse is if the voltage gets to LOW it can ruin the magneto. So it was suggested to put the battery on a trickle charge or disconect the battery altogether,

I thought it was the other way around a voltage surge would fry the clock that's why you put the fuse in. Can someone explain this to me . Thanks

Peter
Remember In 6 volt car systems the cables were big thick cables, that was because the battery supplied twice as much amperage to run the starter. The amount of power to run the clock is a factor of the amps times the voltage, say 3amps x 12volts = 36 watts of power. When the battery is low ,say 6 volts, it will be 3amps x 6volts or 18 watts. The clock wants 18 watts so it draws 6 amps to wind it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Remember In 6 volt car systems the cables were big thick cables, that was because the battery supplied twice as much amperage to run the starter. The amount of power to run the clock is a factor of the amps times the voltage, say 3amps x 12volts = 36 watts of power. When the battery is low ,say 6 volts, it will be 3amps x 6volts or 18 watts. The clock wants 18 watts so it draws 6 amps to wind it.
Sorry clock wants 36 watts.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
so by trying to draw 6amps the 3amp fuse will blow. It needs the volts not amps but it still equals 36 watts?? still abit confused...

Peter
I'm with you...electrical formulas always confuse me...even if it confuses me I do
what the guys with the knowledge tells me how to do it and lo and behold it works, usually without a problem, the problem occurs if I do it "how" I think it should be:rolleyes::)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts