Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auto City Glass shipped my order the other day.

Ordered a passenger's side rear window mounted in the channel. I also ordered a pair of vent window glass pieces, as my frames are nice.

Ordered the vent window gaskets too, both the "C" pieces and the straight pieces on the trailing edges. They're also sending me some bedding tape to install the vent glass.

SO, I'll be a busy boy when it arrives. The passenger's rear window was cracked when I bought the car. Both vent windows are delaminated along the trailing edges. The rest of the glass in the car is nice. :D

Thanks to Bob who sent me the articles on installing the rear windows and the vent windows.

When I get into the project, I might be back here asking a question or two.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats cool chuck, have fun. :five:
Thanks, Carl.

Should be a relatively easy project. I've put a lot of glass in Corvettes in the past, but I've never fooled with a Tri-5.

Biggest pain is getting the back seat out of a 2 door sedan. :D It requires patience and "massaging".

Have wanted to get around to this since I moved down here, but I've been busy with other "stuff", some automotive, some not.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm bringing this back "TTT" as they say, because I have an "issue" with the Auto City Classic glass I received.

The glass arrived late last week. I ordered the passengers rear side glass installed in the channel, and both vent glasses. I also got the new WS for the vent windows and be bedding tape to put the vent glass in, as my frames are OK

Opened the box, all was there, nothing broken.

Sunday, yesterday, I removed the passengers side rear window. Did some clean up, etc., and was going to re-install my new glass today.

Problem is that the channel is welded incorrectly. Refer to the pix. My original channel is on the bottom, the ACC channel (with the glass installed) is on the top.

Someone welded the bracket incorrectly, as it's almost exactly 8.5 inches from the wrong end. :rolleyes: OR, maybe they sent my a drivers side glass. I do not know if the glass itself is side specific.

No way it'll work, so I EMailed ACC Glass this morning, and will follow up with a phone call. NOT a happy camper today. :(

Chuck

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glass is same. either side but the frame isn't. Looks like that frame is for the other side.
Thanks for that info. Did not know that the glass was the same.

If that's the case, they sent me a drivers side channel with the glass mounted 180* out of sync. in the "passengers side" position. :D

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These thinks happen ...they look like a real good outfit..I plan to buy all new glass from them when I get to that stage of my 56..keep us up-dated I'm sure they will make it right..:tu

I'm up in Baltimore for the Thanksgiving Holiday. The new correct glass will probably have arrived when I get home to Florida Tuesday night.

Have a bud watching the house. He's getting the mail, etc. When the box arrives, he's going to open it and check it out, make sure nothing is broken, etc. I also left out the incorrect piece for him to compare it to.

HOPEFULLY, I'll get the correct channel this time. After I finish up the rear, I'll tear into the doors to replace the vent window glass and weatherstrip.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a little update: Got back from Baltimore Tuesday night. The correct glass had arrived. So, yesterday, Wednesday, I installed the new passengers side rear glass.

The rear seat is re-installed, so phase 1 of the glass job is done. :D

No problems. Went back together easily.

NOW, it's time to start on the vent windows, and I have a question. I got a copy of the article on "vent window resto" from Classic Chevy World, but it didn't answer ONE big question for me.

How do you remove JUST the vent window assembly? Can you remove just the vent assembly without taking the main side glass out?

My intention is to remove the vent assemblies, replace the weatherstrips, install the new glass, and re-assemble.

Was hoping I could JUST remove the vent window assemblies without taking the whole door apart.

Thoughts? Any help appreciated. TIA.

Chuck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts