Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
MY NEW GRIFFIN CROSSFLOW WITH CUSTOM RADIATOR CAP

Wondering if I should paint the word Griffin in red on the top...? I love customing....and personalizing!

·
Registered
38,740 Posts
Wondering if I should paint the word Griffin in red on the top...?
Why not on the fender?

I don't see the point of advertising unless they gave you the radiator or gave you a discount nobody else gets. Then you should advertise.

Goes along with this philosophy. Why would you BUY a T shirt that advertises something? They should be at least be giving you the T shirt. And probably some product.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its not advertising. My holley carb has the Holley imprint in red....lots of manufacturers have their logos on their products. I have a torch motorcycle helmet with a big T in the middle...its like having a nike symbol on your tennis shoes...they dont give them to you for free for wearing them as walking advertisements. I think the Griffin mythological creature on the cap is cool and I painted it red to "pop" with the rest of the red items in the engine compartment. I have chevy in red on my valve covers and ZZ4 emblems on my air cleaners...

·
Registered
38,740 Posts
It's simple, your attitude about that is opposite to mine.

I would never by Nike's just because of the logo. I'd buy them because they were what I wanted/needed for function.

Likewise I buy parts for my car to impress myself with their function. Those who know will recognize them as good stuff. Those who don't know, well I don't care about them.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I like it the way it is...the griffon symbol on the radiator cap is great highlighted the way you did it...subtle but stands out.
I have a Harrison "desert cooler" radiator that is black and I carefully sanded off the paint then polished the brass lettering so that "Harrison" really stands out. Just my little 'custom touch' to an otherwise boring radiator

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Johnny, I have that radiator and cap also. One day while driving around local, steam exploded from my hood and grill. I thought I had blown a hose (new). I was only a mile from home so I got up to speed and turned it off a couple of times and made it home. When it cooled enough to work on it I discovered it was my griffin cap. The pressure, never gets over 175, had bent the tabs holding the cap to the flange of the radiator. It's a griffin cap, it should be stronger. I considered bending them back but if it happened once it would do it again so i bought a pressure cap from O'reillys with a release tab. I reccomend that you pick one up and carry it with you. Insurance!

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gr - that was my point to Rick...you made Harrison stand out not because you wanted to advertise Harrison but make the otherwise a bit boring radiator pop when you open the hood. The Griffin symbol is the lion with wings and I think its cool to highlight...I would only paint the word Griffin in Red too because it would pop out the radiator with all the red touches in the engine compartment

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I painted my aluminum radiator and support black to match the car, the rad cap black to match the car, my shroud black to keep the fans blended in while adding some stainless rad tubes to give it some pop. I also covered my Holley carb with a low pro spun aluminum drop base air filter to hide the fact that it's a Holley, and added a custom name plaque in the center of my valve covers with the name of the car instead of the name of the valve cover manufacturer. People comment on the covers being cool all the time.

I think the only piece that now has anyone else's name other than mine is the top cover of the Wilwood master and that will eventually be milled off as well. Point is, if the manufacturer isn't paying me to put their name there, then I'll market my own brand instead of theirs. Guess you could say I'd rather have some pop without having someone else deciding what's going to be pimped underneath my hood. I get a lot of compliments on how clean it is, and when someone wants to know what brand something is...I just tell them rather than advertising it to everyone.

It's all in each persons own particular taste...I simply like clean and unbranded approach myself and let some balance and style appeals to ones eye. :tu

By the way...love the griffin rad. Pops pretty good in there.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Johnny, I have that radiator and cap also. One day while driving around local, steam exploded from my hood and grill. I thought I had blown a hose (new). I was only a mile from home so I got up to speed and turned it off a couple of times and made it home. When it cooled enough to work on it I discovered it was my griffin cap. The pressure, never gets over 175, had bent the tabs holding the cap to the flange of the radiator. It's a griffin cap, it should be stronger. I considered bending them back but if it happened once it would do it again so i bought a pressure cap from O'reillys with a release tab. I recommend that you pick one up and carry it with you. Insurance!
:):tu Wise counsel, Terry. Always good to have a spare if you run into a problem out on the road.

:anim_32:

Harry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.