1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's going on fellow gear heads?

I'm a proud owner of a 55 and would like to look into putting 18" rims on the
front and 20"s on the rear. The rear end is stock and the front has
disc brakes. I could use some help with sizes and offsets if any?

I would like to go as wide as possible with out rubbing, hope someone
has gone thru this and could help me out.

Late

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
First of all....Welcome to the site! Just put 18's on the wifes 55 Sport Coupe....It took several attempts and the purchase of a couple sets of wheels to get it right.All four are 8" wheels....the fronts are 5" backspace and the tires are 235/40's.It has a disc brake conversion on stock spindles.The rears are 4 3/4" backspace and the tires are 255/50's.I have about 1/2" clearance to the leaf spring and 3/4" clearance to the inner fender in the rear....stock rearend.The fronts fit fine....clear everything well and have no turning issues.Hope this helps. I'll shoot a photo and post it the next time I get the old girl out for a drive.

·
Registered
339 Posts
First of all....Welcome to the site! Just put 18's on the wifes 55 Sport Coupe....It took several attempts and the purchase of a couple sets of wheels to get it right.All four are 8" wheels....the fronts are 5" backspace and the tires are 235/40's.It has a disc brake conversion on stock spindles.The rears are 4 3/4" backspace and the tires are 255/50's.I have about 1/2" clearance to the leaf spring and 3/4" clearance to the inner fender in the rear....stock rearend.The fronts fit fine....clear everything well and have no turning issues.Hope this helps. I'll shoot a photo and post it the next time I get the old girl out for a drive.
I'd like to see the pics ...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Welcome Tenn210, looks like you got your answer pretty quick, if you need a little more clearance on the rear fenderwells you can bend the inside lip of the fenderwell in enough to get about 1/2 in extra. I had a slight problem on a '55 in the '70s and that cleared it up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not 18s but....

I have 17X 9.5s all the way around with 285-40s on the rear and 245s on the front....It looks like 315s will fit in the back....

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Daffy -- I love the look of those wheels (at least the size of those wheels) on that 55! If I ever get my head out of the 'stock' idea, I'm going to get 17s or bigger for my 57. I just don't understand why they went from 15 in 55 to 14 in 57! (Did 56 have 15 too?)

Blaze -- I like the idea of big (20) on the rear and smaller (18) on the front. If you do that, please let us see the result.

·
Registered
73 Posts
To tell the truth I'm not totally sold on these wheels myself. They were something I had already so I repainted the centers to go for the Greyspoke look. I am surprised that they fit under the car and there's room to lower it a couple inches as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the 18X7, 20X8 combo on my 57. I have a disc conversion on the fronts with a 2inch drop spindle with stock suspension. the fronts rub slighty, but only if im racing into a corner like an idiot. I can ride 4 adults without rubbing except into turns. Its raining right now so, ill check on the specs later if anyone wants. I basically guesstimated my overallwheel size with "american racing's" wheel calculator. I got the dimensions of my old stock tire setup, and then figured out the most comparable dimensions for an 18inch and 20 inch tire. Im not sure how much bigger or wider I could have gone, but look at the pic and decide for yourself. I dont think I would need to do much better. One thing to mention, Im not sure, but i think there is a difference in the clearance between 55's and 57's

OK, I COULDNT WAIT. I BRAVED THE RAIN AND LOOKED AT MY TIRES. The 18s are 225/40 and the 20s are 255/40

The addy for the tech section and tire calc is
http://americanracing.com/techcenter/index.asp?filename=main&section=tech#

Attachments

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I'm running 17's up front and 18's in the back with mini tubs. I've had the body on the complete frame once and there dosen't seem to be any issue's yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi BLAZE55,
You could modify the chassis and run 20's on the rear with 50 series tyres gives it that pro street look without the eighty's 15 rim look.
My 55 runs 20 x 10 with 325/50/20 on rear and 17 x 8 on the front with 255/50/17 33_12.JPG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts