Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, we switched over from a chrome stock style oil pan to a moroso 7 qt pan. How does one know where to mark the dipstick now? Is it that you put in 7 qts of oil, and mark the dipstick once you've run the engine, or is it that the dipstick mark should still be accurate and fill until the mark is reached on the dipstick..

TIA for the advice as always!
-bg8

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have always filled the engine to what the pan calls for( 7 quarts in this case) and mark the dip stick according to that. If it is a steel dipstick I use a pin punch to put a dot for full. Good luck.

JB.

PS, don't forget that most of the time the # of quarts doesn't include the oil filter.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Preload the filter with a quart (or just less), then add 7 to the case. After running it and then allowing it to set for 5-10min, make your mark. Some will hold up in the lifter valley and generally cling to internals, so you will be really close to perfect.

If you feel that is to much, back off 1/2 quart. then make your mark.

I have a Milodon 7 quart, but it is the same thing basically and I always preload the filter first.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
is it that the dipstick mark should still be accurate and fill until the mark is reached on the dipstick.. -bg8
The oil level will still be the same place on the dipstick. The size of the pan won't change the oil level below the crank, only the amount of oil it takes to reach the mark. The dipstick is mounted in the block so the pan won't change that.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I bought a chrome dipstick & chrome dipstick tube for my 327... It was not even close to being accurate... Next oil/filter change we added 4 qts then started it up and ran it for a few minutes and shut it off... We then marked on the dipstick where it was when 1 Qt. low... Added the 5th Qt and marked FULL... Later, Dave

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
I have a big block with a 7 qt milodon oil pan, changed the oil after installing new dip stick, New filter and then added 7 qts, ran the engine a few seconds checked the oil after a few minutes, showed 1/2 quart low, so added a 1/2 Qt and it read just a hair above the full mark.

So the replacement dipstick was accurate with an after market oil pan.

Otis :)

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,392 Posts
I have a big block with a 7 qt milodon oil pan, changed the oil after installing new dip stick, New filter and then added 7 qts, ran the engine a few seconds checked the oil after a few minutes, showed 1/2 quart low, so added a 1/2 Qt and it read just a hair above the full mark.

So the replacement dipstick was accurate with an after market oil pan.

Otis- was that new dipstick stock Chevy or after market?

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
The dipstick was a stock chrome dipstick from the local advanced auto store, Just said for chevy big block on the label. The kind hanging on the wall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts