Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to pass this along. I bought these two nib files to knock down dirt/dust nibs that got into my recent paint job on my '57. (yes, even with building a paint booth I did get some dust in the paint) They work really well. The fine file works great on the dust nibs, knocks'em down flat w/o removing paint from the surrounding areas. The course file is better to shave any runs in the paint, best to use before the paint is set up hard.
The set from Amazon was $31.

Here's a video of a guy using the files:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxF55aLWDgI

·
Registered
67,764 Posts
thanks for info, will help someone i'm sure. :tu

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
I wish they showed the after polish to see if he cut through the clear coat cause it looked like he did on the video.Why did he not soak his paper prior to sanding I wonder.(Dry sanding?)

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Can you give me the Amazon link for those?
Thanks.

·
Registered
37,259 Posts
I've had a nib file for years. It's a useful tool.

I found it odd that he wet sanded with 600 but not with the 1000. But wet sanding is not a requirement.

If he cut through the clear, it's all over, you'd have to re-spray it.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
And if it's a metallic, the base has to be re-sprayed as well.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
I've had a nib file for years. It's a useful tool.

I found it odd that he wet sanded with 600 but not with the 1000. But wet sanding is not a requirement.

He really did not wet sand as he just sprayed liquid and used a dry paper with no mention of a lubricant. With a soaked paper the spend paint can freely run off and not re-abrade the surface.You can hear the abrasion over the panel.Look close at the nib and you see black paint and not the cloudy clear coat.That nib was put there deep to sell a product.IMO.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
dry sanding has been popular for many years especially in the 1000+ range . as for the nib files be careful , they can cause more damage than they are worth. one slip and you have a scratch that will not buff out. if you feel you must use something like this get the mequires rock .

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dry sanding has been popular for many years especially in the 1000+ range . as for the nib files be careful , they can cause more damage than they are worth. one slip and you have a scratch that will not buff out. if you feel you must use something like this get the mequires rock .

Careful is the key word here. Like any tool, must used properly....has worked well on my single stage paint.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
works

took out a run in a single stage system a few years back. Worked well but quick. Be careful

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
Just cause you can dry sand fresh paint does not make it right for an amateurs video.It`s irresponsible as a business.You would not use NANOSKIN AUTOSCRUB TOWELS, TRIZACT 3000 or 5000 or even a clay bar without proper lubrication.To me it just sends the wrong message.Watch these AUTOGEEK videos of a very rare car and you will see no dry sanding going on here.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...g-videos-nebraska-help-heartland-project.html

·
Registered
155 Posts
Like Porchdog said, be careful. I bought a set at my local body supply store and thought it was magic until I got a scratch like Porchdog said. Got a bad dirty look from my helper.....

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
dry sanding of clear has been the preferred way by many high end shops for years. i wet sand everything up to 1000 then i use dry paper. it is designed to be used dry . you can see what progress you are making without rinsing and drying the panel .

this the sanding stone by meguiars . it is much safer than the cutting block .

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4711

1 - 16 of 16 Posts