Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been busy this last couple weeks. I blocked down the primer and sprayed a fresh coat, I made a guage pod for a radio-delete, I got the rallyes mounted, The transmission had to be rebuilt, I had to rebuild the carb, I mounted a radio, and started to build a console, replaced the sending unit and mounted a gas guage. And a couple of other small things that I can't remember. Here's some pics.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ih8rice said:
That is HOT, Im rethinking paint everyday :) Tell us more about that gauge pod, looks good.
I used a piece of 12 guage sheetmetal and traced the radio opening onto it. I cut the opening out of it and welded bolts where the radio knob holes are. Then mocked the guages in the rectangle opening to face the driver. The hard part was making a frame for the guage mounting surface. I used a holesaw to cut the holes out. I then used a cutoff wheel to cut the excess material off the "holes". I ended up with a piece that looked like Eyeglass frames. This frame was bent so the guages were facing the driver, and welded to the plate. I trimmed the plate to reflect the shape of the guage mounting surface "larger circles". T-shirt material was then stretched over the frame and glued down around the edges so it contacted all surfaces along edges. I then dabbed on three coats of fiberglass resin. When the resin hardened, all the edges were trimmed, and the resin was sanded to roughen it up and rough shape it. I put a layer of Glazing filler over the whole thing (Like Bondo but smoother, virtually no air bubbles to deal with). Once that was sanded smooth it was painted. I glued Leather to the back of mine as a gasket not to scratch the dash up too bad and to block any light from coming out around the edges from the back. Hopefully I made sense, It all started with me kindof poking my guages into the radio hole to see if I could utilize this area for something other than a plain radio delete plate, and still not cut up the dash. A flat plate would work there too, but I did have to smash my guages down to a flat spot on the top and bottom a little bit to fit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
19_Chevelle_69 said:
That's a great look, almost reminds me of "Two Lane Blacktop" with the flat black wrapper...
It'll look like this for a while, I plan to do the interior and engine bay first on this car. From the pics, looks like I need to run out and get a couple cans of undercoat for the front wheel tubs.:eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.