Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Bought an Autocity Steering Column and paid over 300 Bucks for it from a Sponser on Trifive now i find out they are crap and could potentialy Kill me ,so it will be getting dumped in the rubbish,

So now i need to buy another New Steering column Ididit or Flaming river that is the qustion , and who has the best fit / price ??

Thanks in advance ,

Wayne, :bowtier:

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I have the FR unit. Painted version. Ask about the shift indicator B4 you order. They have to put it in before it's shipped, if you want it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I bought the Ididit because it fit the dash of the 57 closer to a stock column than the Flaming River. I also had them build it in a custom length for my rack. The 57 specific Ididit is pretty short and barely clears the firewall opening though.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
The 30 in. Ididit column is in my opinion is two inches too short.Ididit will add one in. at no charge and $100.00 something for every in. after.I dont know why they dont just make it 32 in. and be done with it.Most end up with having to cut the cluster and or not have it come through the firewall (safety issue?)I have a 31 in. Ididit and a 33 in. Flaming River but have not decided which I will go with for my other 57.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
30 31 and 33 they dont make a 32? The stock is 32 ain't it
Stock is 30 in. but you have 2 in. for the tilt mechanism.So if they made a 32 in. it would come through the firewall without mods.Rumor awhile back from their camp was they were going to address this situation.But I dont know.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
One thing about Ididit is that their customer support is superb. The stand behind their products 100%. I've heard of cases where they will fix problems for free even on very old columns.

I only have experience with Ididit but have read that Flaming River is a very good product too. I don't know if their customer support is as good as Ididit or not.

I ordered an Ididit column for my '55 (floor shift) and got it 2 inches shorter (28"). I think it's the perfect length for a '55-'56.

The Flaming River can be shortened by a DIY'er but an Ididit cannot.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I've used and installed both. They both fit well, the FR shaft needed to be trimmed a little to get the rag joint in with power steering. I prefer the FR as the stainless steel they use is thicker and stronger then the metal Ididit uses. Also the FR head is about 1" shorter then the ididit one. Both are good and you will be satisfied with either one. Better then those junk columns from auto city, cpp, helix etc.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Installed a Ididit chrome tilt a couple of month's ago and couldnt be happier. Picked it up on sale through Eckler's with 15% off. Cheaper than a FR bought have not heard anything bad about those. Can't go wrong with either,

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Flaming river makes a 28" which I have been told is better for 55-56.
So does Ididit. That's what I have.
Like I said earlier though, you can shorten a Flaming River yourself but not an Ididit.

Quite a while back Rick_L detailed how he shortened his FR.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
I've used ididit for almost 5 years with no problem. :anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive
The question from what I gather is not the quality of the column but the "fit and fitment" of an Ididit column on a 30 in. offering on a 57 Chevy car.In my opinion the column needs to be 32 in. for no future mods.I would not be so adamant on this matter yet I was forced to struggle with this senerio early on in my build and Ididit was of no help short of adding 1 in. to the column (30 in. to 31 in.)

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
... and Ididit was of no help short of adding 1 in. to the column (30 in. to 31 in.)
Can you send your column to them and have them do that? From what I've heard about how they like happy customers, I wouldn't be surprised it they did it for free.

Sure would be nice if they were offered the perfect length they should be in the first place though. Are all '57 owners that are buyers of these have the same issue as you?

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
Can you send your column to them and have them do that? From what I've heard about how they like happy customers, I wouldn't be surprised it they did it for free.

Sure would be nice if they were offered the perfect length they should be in the first place though. Are all '57 owners that are buyers of these have the same issue as you?
Roger there has been two threads that I can remember not started by me but I have responded to with the same if not similar concerns as to the length mostly coming through the firewall.The way I see it and I have yet to deviate from my opinions is that I want the column protruding through the firewall for safety and or security purposes.I dont think anyone would disagree that the more secure your column is to the firewall (body) the safer(If possible) it may be.There is also the sealing factor in terms of debris and contaminants.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Roger there has been two threads that I can remember not started by me but I have responded to with the same if not similar concerns as to the length mostly coming through the firewall.The way I see it and I have yet to deviate from my opinions is that I want the column protruding through the firewall for safety and or security purposes.I dont think anyone would disagree that the more secure your column is to the firewall (body) the safer(If possible) it may be.There is also the sealing factor in terms of debris and contaminants.
How about my first question?
Sorry if I missed it and you answered that already.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I INSTALLED A FR IN A 57 AND THE AS IS LENGTH WAS PERFECT, I DID HAVE TO CUT THE END OF THE DOUBLE d SHAFT AS IT PROTRUDED TO FAR. tHE COLUMN JUST BARELY PROTRUDES OUT THE FIREWALL. I USE A LOWER BRACKET ON THE INSIDE OF THE FIREWALL, COLUMM WAS VERY SECURE. IF THE COLUMM STUCK OUT ANY FARTHER IT WOULD NOT HAVE WORKED WITH THE U JOINT AND POWER STEERING BOX.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts