Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace the steering column in my 57 Bel Air, with automatic on the floor. Q. Would like to install column with NO ignition switch, and put the ignition switch in the original space to right of the column, how would you wire the switch to the the ignition box at the end of the column. And where would you find a ignition switch to put in the original hole on the dash. Trying to put the 57 dash to a stock look. Any help here would most appreciated guys.

Robert

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Robert, if you get an aftermarket floor shift, no key, column, there is NO ign. switch ON the column. There is, however, a NS, and sometimes, a backup lights switch mounted on the lower end of most columns. Most all of our sponsor vendors carry a replacement ign. sw. for the dash, both the ign. sw. itself, or just the key tumbler.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I've got an Ididit in my 56, and the AAW kit has the new ignition switch...........I also bought a complete new lock set (all the same key) to install as we go.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Also forgot to mention that the new column will have a 'ribbon' of several wires for the horn, turn signals, and brakes. If you have original wiring in the car now, I believe you can get a harness to adapt to the new column.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the ideas here Guys, if I decide to go with a column with out ignition switch to install on the dash to get the original look, would the switch come with a wiring harness as the one on the column, like Acc, Off, On, Start Thanks for the help here guys.

Robert

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Robert, we may need some more information here in order to help you. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from your posts, I'm reading that the column you now have in the car HAS a key switch on the column, and no sw. on the dash. If so, someone changed the column before you bought it. Do you want to put an original 57 column back in the car, or an aftermarket column? Do you now have the original wiring in the car? Just to clarify, the wiring for the original dash mounted ign. sw., and the wiring for the original column, are 2 different harnesses. But to answer your last question, no, the new ign. sw. will not have a harness. You will have to buy it separate, and rework the wiring under the dash, to the new harness, or trace out the wiring, and hook directly to the new ign. sw.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
David, thanks for the info, and yes the column is out of a 81 camaro in which I would like to replace with a original column for the 57. The ignition switch now is on the column, NEW column for the 57 I would like to install in the dash. Researching for the NEW column can be a little pricey. As for the wiring David it has been redone to accommodate for the Digital Gages. To settle some problems for the new column (57) if it requires to much wiring, can a column to replace the camaro one be ignition free and be installed on the dash like the original 57 column. I hope this has cleared up any issues that I was trying to convey. If not ask and I will try and give you more info. Thanks for the help here David.

Robert

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Yes, you can replace the existing col. with an aftermarket keyless column made for a 57. If you want an ori. 57 column, I believe you will also have to replace the steering box or shaft, because it was originally one piece. I'm pretty sure when the PO put the camero col. in, they had to cut the shaft close to the box, and add a rag joint. Do you still have the ori. manual steering box? Any way you go, you will have to rework all the wiring for the ign. sw., and whichever column you choose. Might want to think about an aftermarket wiring harness also.:anim_25:

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Robert, if you replace the column with a new Ididit or Flaming River col., the wiring for the col. should be the same as you now have, except for the ign. sw. wiring, that you will have to move to the 'new' ign. sw. installed in the dash. The cost of a new keyless, non-tilt, floor shift column is not that bad.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
David, thanks for all the info, it will help in making a few decisions on which column I want to install. I'll check out what they have on the Ididit site and go from there. If any thing comes up I'll get back with you. Thanks

Robert

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey David, have talked to the vendor that carries the Ididit columns, he said you won't have to replace the extension cause it is generic that can be use for a lot of GM cars. All I have to do is get the mounting bracket to install along the lower dash. Besides the other owner sorta hatched the column area to fit the column from the 81 camaro. Am I heading to the right direction LOL So I would need the bracket to hold up the column and a new floor cover mount?
Thanks for your insight.

Robert

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
You are on the right track. Hope the po didn't hack the column area too much, and removed the original mounting studs. If so, not too hard to make a bracket to hold upper col. You will need one at the toe-board also, but there's several options out there. Did he cut the gauge 'POD' to fit the camero col.? One other note...there are 2 different 'flat' connectors on the col. ribbon wires. I think one is about 3" long and the other 4" or more. Find out which one you have now, and tell the vender of the new column which one you have, and they can install the mate for the one you have. :anim_25:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another Q. David, If I decide to go with the 57 column, who would have the support bracket that goes towards the lower side of the column? Been checking and no luck. Thanks for your help

Robert

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Do you mean an ORIGINAL 57 column? If so, the ori. mount was on the engine side of the firewall. Should be easy to find a used one, but, if the steering shaft has been cut at the steering box, and a rag joint installed, may not work. If you go with an Ididit or Flaming river col. "kit", it will probaly be included, and the lower support goes on the inside of the car. If not, ask the vendor when you order. To give you an idea, try Danchuck part # 14673, or part # 14861. Just for fun, look at part # 12074. I'm trying to get a handle on what you NOW have, and what you want to do, ORIGINAL column, or aftermarket. Do you still have the ORIGINAL manual steering BOX???

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
David, thanks for the help here, I am leaning towards the 57 column. When I receive it, that will give some concept on what way I will install it. Any Q's I'll get in touch with you, thanks.

Robert

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi David, thanks for the info on the columns, will come handy when I install the new steering column. Q. for you, since I am taking out the old column that is out of a camaro, Go back to the stock 57 brackets and hangers if it requires it, do you know of any site that gives you this info on what is needed to do the installation. Thanks again for any info you might be able to lead me to.

Robert

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Can you post some pictures of what you have now? Floor bracket should come with new column. If you look in the library section of this site, you should find a dia. of the dash bracket, or the assembly manual if you have one. What you now have might work to mount new col.:anim_25:

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
Correctly where I`m wrong but does`nt the steering box have everything to do with your next decision.If you are going with an after market box you are going to cut the collar and shaft to length as well as DD the shaft for either a rag joint or a coupler.So what box is it so you can be helped.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts