Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got this project 57 a coupla weeks ago but my 9 y/o digital camera died ( I only dropped it a coupla times)so knowing how we all feel about pictures I waited until I got a new camera to post about it.
She is almost unbelievably solid,I've been unable to find any bondo or patches.The frame is solid as a rock as are the floors.

According to the PO,his Father died shortly after painting it and it got driven into a garage w/a concrete floor where it sat for a few years.Someone broke in and stole the carburetor and the mice made the intake their new home.

I haven't been able to get to the engine numbers yet but according to the PO its the original 283.The standard transmission was removed and replaced w/an automatic.

Unfortunately the inside and the bed had some fake green grass glued to it. I've tried to remove the glue w/WD40,soapy water and my fingernails.Looks like I need to go to a paint store and buy some adhesive remover.

I have some ??s for the truck guys....My grill,bumpers and trim are chrome not painted.All of the 3100s I've seen have painted grills.Was the stainless an option?
Was the spare tire rear fender available in 57?
Is the hood ornament stock? Did the pickups come from the factory w/a 283?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Looks like you snagged a good one Old Fart. Looks like a great truck.
I'll be following your project on this truck as I am doing a '57 right now too.

Yes, the spare tire side mount fender was available in '57. Mine has it. Although mine is a 3200 but I think I've seen it on 3100s as well.

In case you didn't know, your steering wheel is not a '57. It's an earlier one. Been thinking about getting an earlier one myself. I think it's a nicer looking wheel.

The chrome grille was an option. I think the hood bird was not an option on the '57 but was on '56. Rockets were an option on the '57 hood though. Yes, a 283 was an option on the '57.

·
Registered
67,732 Posts
congrats, have fun with it. looks like a good one. :tu

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like you snagged a good one Old Fart. Looks like a great truck.
I'll be following your project on this truck as I am doing a '57 right now too.

Yes, the spare tire side mount fender was available in '57. Mine has it. Although mine is a 3200 but I think I've seen it on 3100s as well.

In case you didn't know, your steering wheel is not a '57. It's an earlier one. Been thinking about getting an earlier one myself. I think it's a nicer looking wheel.

The steering wheel is going to be replaced w/Ididit column and "billet" steering wheel.As soon as I find one to use just to move the truck around..I'll send you this one if you want it.
I forget things much too easily so you will have to remind me in a coupla weeks.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
You might check the vin, that front clip looks to me to be a mishmash of parts, JMO.
Nice color and sounds like a good truck to start a project from.......
That is a quadrajet intake, no 283s came with a Q-jet. Get the numbers off the front of the block......
Oh yeah, the chrome grill is just that, it is NOT stainless.

·
R.I.P. Sept. 8, 2018 Senior Member 2 Gol
2,665 Posts
Nice score Oldfart! Looks like a great truck to start with. I can't belive your taking out the Astroturf! :sign0020:
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You might check the vin, that front clip looks to me to be a mishmash of parts, JMO.
Nice color and sounds like a good truck to start a project from.......
That is a quadrant intake, no 283s came with a Q-jet. Get the numbers off the front of the block......
Oh yeah, the chrome grill is just that it is NOT stainless.
Gary,Thank You for your input.Your thoughts and opinion mean a LOT to me.Thanks again.:tu

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
a little more detail to my statement.
the fender chrome is in the wrong place for a '57, it should be above the body line.
that is why i'm thinking the "mishmash parts" thing.
my other "clue" is the steering wheel/column looks untouched, as in, not mess with, so my thinking is it is original to the truck. So, in conclusion, maybe it's a 56 truck with a 57 hood and grill, with the fenders modified for the grill.
That is just my thoughts, the facts are probably different, LOL.
One more thing is just saw, and maybe it's the lighting in the picture, but the balancer one the front of the engine looks big for a 283.
And hey, I'm not picking on your truck, I'm just trying to be informative.....
Your truck is nicer than the one I started with, and the under hood picture looks way close to the under hood of mine in the beginning, LOL LOL.

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Nice looking truck,you did pretty good.Keep us posted on future plans for it and more pics.When you have a chance post the suffix code from the pad in front of the engine,good luck.:tu :tu
Big Bob:flag4::bowtier:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Oh wait, did I mention the butchered dash?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice to see another '57!

Post lots of pictures!!!

As said above, the hood ornament you have was for 55/56 trucks, the '57 got its own "Rockets".

Some quick background on the 55-57 truck styling, (disclaimer) as I understand it...

The '55 truck came out with a Ferrari inspired grill, aggressive Atomic Age/Space Age lines offered a V8 engine that could really scoot. These new lines and other things in the Chevy truck line, like the Cameo option, changed how trucks would be approached forever.

Then in '57 we got a bigger dose of Rockets! A redesigned grill (fenders changed a little to accommodate the new grill design), raised spears in the hood, and I believe different tail lights. Other options included "Hood Rockets" that sat atop the raised spears in the hood. Some loved this new Space Race/Rocket Inspired design change, some thought it ruined the lines of the truck (and cars of that year).

I like Rockets!
John
'57 3100

1 - 17 of 17 Posts