Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been saving up to buy a four post lift. a couple weeks thete was a action that had a lift. I went and didnt like the lift so didnt bid on it. But this 82 chev 3/4 truck with a electric winch and tow sling was there. Only 42,000 actual miles 305 with turbo 400 air conditioning power steering everything works. The wife and I took it to Arkadelphia Ark and brought back a 84 ford ?Ranger Pk that I bought fron the Ark State surplus auction Wednesday. Im getting old We really enjoyed the comfort of this rig. That old 64 we where using would beat you to death. i also brought in a 65 Impala Super sport that I bought on EBay with the new toy. Im still gonna buy a lift but need to sell some later model cars to the crusher first.:) Randall

Attachments

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Nice toy:D:tu I think it would be fun to have a wrecker but I have too many vehicles as it is.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a great deal to me...Isn't insurance big bucks on a tow truck..?...:)
Commercial insurance ie very high. But this is a 3/4 and I only tow my own stuff. Not much difference than putting a vehicle on a trailer . However If you pull a trailer with a 1 ton or larger truck you suddenly become a tractor trailer. You are then required to follow all the same DOT rules as a semi truck. You are required to have a class A CDL with trailer endorsment ,carry a log book , have a health card, have brakes on the trailer, and not exceed the weight limits of the trailer or the tires. There is no weight limit on a 3/4 ton truck in Arkansas. I have a CDL and health card but I prefer to use a 3/4 ton with a tow sling. Gets better fuel milage has a better ride and no hassle from the weigh boys. We went by a few DOT wednesday and they didnt even give us a bit of trouble.:sign0020: Randall

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
u going into the towing business :D
No not getting into the towing buisness. We have probably 300 cars at one time I could make a living tradng cars selling parts ect. Now with todays economy I drive a semi truck. However my old car sideline still pays its own way and makes a small profit. At present the scrap man will usually pay more than anyone else for most old cars. anyway we have always had a wrecker of some kind to drag in vehicles and move them around. We usedto use a rough 64 that we actually bought from the car crusher after I spotted it going through town on a tow chain. Paid $100.oo and installed a engine and flatbed with hoist and used it for many years.I has seen better days and is slated to be used for parts. I wanted something more user friendly and the price was right. I plan to change the gin pole so it and the sling can be quickly& easily removed. For me a wrecker is one of those things that I cant hardly do without. Randall

Attachments

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I shure it has done some repo work

That looks like a Sneaky Snake repo rig:D Nice looking setup.
I think your correct. The Guy having the auction was a used car dealer that was retiring. I found a Billy Club ,Slim Jim and tear gas pepper spray behind the seat. It also has the dome light disabled. And really quiet exhaust. My wife says If I dont quit dragging stuff home and dont clean up the yard she is gonna post some pictures of me after she uses the mace and billy club on me. But i know her bark is worse than her bite.:sign0020: Randall

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts