Discussion Starter #1
Saw this ad the other day, looked to good to be true:

Edited out by Admin
I sent my name & email & received this email today:

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 00:02:59 +0300
Subject: 1957 CHEVROLET BELAIR cad$ 4600
To:

Hello,

My unit it's in perfect condition without any mechanical problems, no damages or hidden defects, no need for additional repairs, clear title without any accidents. I have all the unit manuals, all the documents and papers. It was always garaged and the price is CAD $4,600.

I`m a single mother with 2 children.I've divorced with my husband and after the divorce i own this unit, i don`t need it and that`s why i`m selling it so cheap.

My unit is at the shipping company in Hamilton,Ontario.
Because I always use 100% safe methods, I tried to stop the listing on Buysell and I've sent the unit through eBay Vehicle Protection Program to a buyer from Halifax Nova Scotia. I paid all the shipping fees from my unit and when eBay requested the payment to be made, the buyer refused to pay because he didn't had full amount. Now I have the unit in eBay's hands and it's ready to be delivered to the next buyer.
I will use eBay`s protection program for our safety because I am affiliated there with aprotection account of $20000.I will send you the unit and you have 5 days inspection period,before you decide to buy it.If for any reason you reject the unit I will pay the shipping back to my location.The unit will be delivered at your home address full registered in your state and under your name.
Here is how it will work:
1. First of all I will need the following details from you:
* Full Name,
* Full Shipping Address (First name,Last name,Shipping Address,City,Postal Code),
* Phone number.

I will get everything started immediately.
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to this e-Mail if you don't have the amount available, or if you don't intend to be serious.

P.S. Please don`t forget to send me your info!

Best Regards !
Jennifer Brown :)

THIS IS A SCAM!! I FOUND LOT'S OF OTHER PEOPLE ON THE WEB WITH THE SAME EMAILS. THIS CAME AS A "RE-DIRECT" FROM " on behalf of Jennifer Brown (
" BEWARE.....

Dave
:wavey:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
If anyone thinks they can buy that 57 for 4600 I have some ocean front property here in Oklahoma you might be interested in.

:sign0020:

·
Registered
66,294 Posts
thanks for the tip. :five:

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Yup, sounds suspicious to metdi Later, Dave

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Same scam

that's been going on for yrs.. Different details...
A unit?? Yep. Lots of folks used to call a car a "unit". Except in PA, where it's a "cah"..:D
A unit is also referred to as a "short"...:party0031:

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
A coupla weeks ago I was searching CL and someone had a 57 Buick show car for $4000 in every Fl. city.I clicked on & flagged the ads as Spam until I got sick of doing it..:party0031:

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
A unit?? Yep. Lots of folks used to call a car a "unit". Except in PA, where it's a "cah"..:D
cah ??? LOL you must be thinking of Boston !!! you GA boys must of got some BBQ sauce in your eye when you was typin !!! LOL:D:happy0030:

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Hackers love

So what happens after you send in your information.
that kind of info... Watch your bank balance, CC balance, etc...:eek:

·
Registered
483 Posts
as the info she is requesting in the letter is in the phonebook (name address phone) it is a lull, you believe "thats harmless enough", then once you provide that you get the letters (or phone calls) that step up info requests with innocent sounding claims each time. Using the postal service as a commercial venture and commiting fraud (which is the final end result) is harder to prove against the perp if each of each of the needed facets are in a different correspondence! Its usual for scams to start innocent and step up the attack - simple rules of CON - win trust first, make it easy, and have a way to create a deal breaker later (then complainant is "just another disgruntled customer with an axe to grind).

I had a client who sought my advice on how to structure the 81 mil he was getting from the deposed Nigerian Consulate. He was 18 months into the scam and was 100% certain it was real, lawyer blessing and everything and has just wired 3 days ago 16,000.00 and was getting the 81mil in 3 months so had to hurry and get his ducks in a row! man I tried but could not convince him to call the cops. And he was a smart guy - they just lulled him in slowly telling him what he wanted to hear! Left it with he was to call me the moment funds were available so I could help him get it into proper places - never heard from him again - probably quite ashamed and unwilling to face the ones who warned him.

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
Dave,
I have seen that one before. I still think it's weird that none of these scammers ever try to put just a little effort on the text (like changing "the unit"). Hope no one steps into that hole :thumpdown:

....I had a client who sought my advice on how to structure the 81 mil he was getting from the deposed Nigerian Consulate. He was 18 months into the scam and was 100% certain it was real, lawyer blessing and everything and has just wired 3 days ago 16,000.00 and was getting the 81mil in 3 months so had to hurry and get his ducks in a row! man I tried but could not convince him to call the cops. And he was a smart guy - they just lulled him in slowly telling him what he wanted to hear! Left it with he was to call me the moment funds were available so I could help him get it into proper places - never heard from him again - probably quite ashamed and unwilling to face the ones who warned him.
Ouch! :eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
In the pacific northwest it's called a "rig" Dave

·
Registered
139 Posts
:sign0020:

It's hesterically funny!!!

What is she asking us to buy? "my unit"

Ya just gotta laugh, that stuff is just funny right there :wavey:

Of course, not funny to get scammed. I had the same type of craigslist scam for a 4wd Kubota come my way. Like others have said, too good to be true.

·
Administrator
9,079 Posts
So what happens after you send in your information.
Guys do not contact that email, I just deleted it from the forum, You must question everything as always.

Now I am asking why a new member kv72 with only one post, Made his first post, trying to get you guys to contact the spammer to find out what happens. So then I noticed that kv72 favorite trifive is a 52 chevy.

He may be a honest guy if so he can explain.

Question Everything
Otis

1 - 20 of 24 Posts