Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a complete Wilwood Disc brake system on my 57 Chevy

The kit came with everything needed to do the complete install of front and rear disc brakes, plus emergency brakes.

The kit had easy to follow instructions with photos. The kit even included the brake fluid.

The first thing I did was remove all the old drum brakes, Next I removed the axles, and found that wildwood rotors needs to be used with ½ inch lugs, so I bought some ½ studs for the rear axles, it was a simple install, the old 7/16 studs were easy to remove.

I had not anticipated having to change the stud blots, However, I was happy that I did, because it makes the car much safer with the larger lug nuts and bolts.

Next I had a set of unilug cragars, so I ordered a set of new cragar lug nuts that were ½ x 20 thread studs and lug nuts. so I could still use my cragars.

The front kit had new rotors with studs in the kit so that was no problem.

The master cylinder from Wilwood does not require a vacuum booster so I was very pleased to have the extra room in my engine bay, without that booster in the way.

The install was pretty easy as installs go and tech support was great.

After the installed the Wilwood brake system, I did several test drives and the brakes worked great, the proportioning valve did it’s job, be cause I drove to 60 mph and slammed the brakes and the car stopped like a new car, No slipping wheels and the body did not lunge at all, the stop was fast and smooth.

I then tried the new rim from Danchuk, because I wanted to verify that if I wanted to use original style rims on my 57 with these disc brakes I could, to make sure it had good clearance with the disc brakes. The fit was perfect with plenty of room.

So I can say that these brakes live up to expectations and beyond.

Otis :)

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,392 Posts
Nice going Otis- great when something goes together that nicely. - With that powder coating in the engine bay and the sharp paint job, your car's sure looking nice!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Otis, I am in the process of installing disk brakes. Is your car lowered or standard height. If so how?

I like the stance of your car and can't decide weather or not to install drop spindles.

Thanks, Mike

Nice build-a-long, thanks for the pics:)

68,758 Posts
look great, nice job otis. :five: ...........so what did you do after lunch? :winking0070:

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought the Good Lord gave us brains so we could use our creativity to modify our cars
Yes he sure did, That's why when someone ask should they modify thier Trifive or keep original, I always say do what you want to the car so that you like it. :):):)

Otis:)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Nice work Otis:tu

I did the same as you and just love the braking now. A big plus was the mc that looks proper under the hood, never happy with the look of my booster.

Are your front rotor grooves facing the same direction as the rears?
Hot Rods USA puts a nice kit together.

Car stops on a dime and gives you change now:)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Great job!
I'm guessing you bought all the components as a kit? Who did you purchase it from?
I didn't see new brake lines. Were the existing steel tubing re-used or did you replace it? It was my understanding tubing size might need changing?
Trying to gather all the info possible, as I want to make the same upgrade and I too favor stock height!
Are the wheels spaced closer to the fender opening to accomodate the calipers?
Thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks for sharing the photos.
Where did you pick up the kit and what was the cost???
Also did the e-brake hook up to the factory components?
Thanks
BobH

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I got the kit from wilwood, you can contact them for cost they may be having a sale.

As far as the emergency brake they have a kit that you can install and still use your original emergency brake handle and cable .

otis

·
Registered
225 Posts
Could you please tell me does this kit use 11" discs on the front?
I'm planning on upgrading to Wilwoods on the front but they offer such a selection!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wilwood master cylinder question

Otis,

Could you tell me a little more about how you rate the Wilwood master cylinder. I have installed 4 wheel Wilwood 12" disc brake w/4 piston calibers on my 57 chassis, but haven't bought a master cylinder or booster yet. I have been looking at master cylinder/booster options. Are you fully satisfied with the Wilwood master cylinder, without booster, with your Wilwood brake upgrade. Does you brake setup require heavy, moderate or light pedal pressure? Do you think it would be beneficial to add a booster to your setup if space where not a problem.

Thanks,
Ralph

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As far as booster and master cylinder etc.

If you get the double master cylinder with 7/8 piston you don't need a booster, but you can ad one if you want.

I went with the 1-inch master cylinder so I added a double booster.

You would think the bigger the piston the more pressure applied to the brakes and less need for a booster, However the foot pressure you need to apply to the brake pedal increases with piston size.

Actually when talking to the engineers at Wilwood they said it is the opposite, the small 7/8 master cylinder puts about twice the hydraulic pressure, therefore need less foot pressure on the brake pedal. and when you get a bigger cylinder the pressure decreases even though the volume increases.

Hope this helps

Otis :)

So 7/8 cylinder no extra booster needed to work with 4 disc brakes

1 inch and above booster needed

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.