Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just got my 57 and have a question. my speedo is reading high, so i figured out what i need for the drive and driven gears. what i need to know is how hard is it to replace the drive gear in the trany?? i've got a lift. how do you get at it. through the pan ? OR IS IT COMPLICATED??
THANKS RAY!!

and everytime i give it a little gas the fan belt SQWEELES LIKE CRAZY. how do i stop it???

·
Administrator
70,863 Posts
i tightened up belt but still does it. i think i'll take the belt off and check the pulleys for bad bearings. i even put on a new belt, but did'nt help.
You need to make sure that the belt is for that pulley.

There was a claculator to work out how many teeth you need depending on what you have.

The tranny gear drive is simple enough to swap out no special tools required.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
i just got my 57 and have a question. my speedo is reading high, so i figured out what i need for the drive and driven gears. what i need to know is how hard is it to replace the drive gear in the trany?? i've got a lift. how do you get at it. through the pan ? OR IS IT COMPLICATED??
THANKS RAY!!

and everytime i give it a little gas the fan belt SQWEELES LIKE CRAZY. how do i stop it???
Here's the easiest way to calculate the # of gear teeth needed.

Drive down the road with a GPS, like a Garmin, Tom Tom, etc.

That will give you your accurate speed.

You say your speedo is reading too high.............

SO.......... you need a driven gear with MORE teeth to slow the speedo down.

Lets say you're going 50 MPH on the GPS, but your speedo shows 60.

60/50 = 1.2

You pull the gear in your current trans, and lets say you find a 26 tooth gear.

26 x 1.2 = 31.2, rounded down to 31.

SO, in this made up example, you would need a gear with 31 teeth to correct the speedo error..

Chuck

PS: Try a bar of soap on both sides of the fanbelt. With the car running, take a cake of soap and run it on both sides and the bottom of the belt. See if that'll eliminate the squeal.

·
Administrator
70,863 Posts
Here's the easiest way to calculate the # of gear teeth needed.

Drive down the road with a GPS, like a Garmin, Tom Tom, etc.

That will give you your accurate speed.

You say your speedo is reading too high.............

SO.......... you need a driven gear with MORE teeth to slow the speedo down.

Lets say you're going 50 MPH on the GPS, but your speedo shows 60.

60/50 = 1.2

You pull the gear in your current trans, and lets say you find a 26 tooth gear.

26 x 1.2 = 31.2, rounded down to 31.

SO, in this made up example, you would need a gear with 31 teeth to correct the speedo error..

Chuck

PS: Try a bar of soap on both sides of the fanbelt. With the car running, take a cake of soap and run it on both sides and the bottom of the belt. See if that'll eliminate the squeal.
Chuck you sure made that easy :tu

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
THANKS RAY!!

On the speedo gear.

First you want to remove the speedo cable and then the drive shaft, at the rear of the the tail shaft there are 4 bolts holding the housing on. Romove those bolts and remove the tailshaft housing. The speedo gear is on that shaft closest to the main transmission case. Gently, ever so gently drive off the gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.