Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1957 Chevy Bel Air Townsman 4 door
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! Just joined and am anxiously awaiting delivery of our new family truckster; a 1957 Chevy Bel Air Townsman 4 door! We plan on having seat belts professionally installed since this wlll be used as our in-town family vehicle. Would you mind sharing photos of your installed seat belts in a 4 door Townsman with bench seats front and back; ideally 3 point systems (shoulder + lap belt)? And does anyone have pics of installed child seat brackets? I've tried searching other threads on this site but the conversation threads are old so the photos are no longer there. The classic car shop that will be doing the install said they need to research the specifics as they haven't installed 3 point belts in a 57 Townsman 4 door before, so I was just trying to gather some experienced knowledge to pass along to them. Thank you in advance for your help! Pics below of the new family truckster headed our way! This will be a well-loved and cherished family car!

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Here’s a previous thread by other members who have installed 3-point seatbelts

There’s more threads that can help guide you, just go over to the search bar.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome!

Here’s a previous thread by other members who have installed 3-point seatbelts

There’s more threads that can help guide you, just go over to the search bar.

Best wishes!
Thank you for this! Yes, I used the search bar first, but the posts are all older and therefore the photos are no longer there. Thank you for the thread you shared, though, as there's 1 photo in that conversation that's still available! :)

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,581 Posts
You will have an up hill battle installing 3 point seat belts. Part of the problem is these car bodies were not designed for them, and the added structure is not there. The best you can do is put anchors in the door posts
and hope you never need to use them. The other thing is to find some later model seat that has a provision for the shoulder harness to be attached or run through a section of the seat and then anchored to the floor.
This will require changes to be made to the front seat and the back seat.

If you wish to see more on how some of this was done on 57's, locate an accessory installation manual It shows some ways to do this on some models. Even then, it is not done to today's standards. It is a trade
off when using an older car that has style over a newer mode of transportation with NONE.

Mikey

Reactions: Stephanie P

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Congra
Hi Everyone! Just joined and am anxiously awaiting delivery of our new family truckster; a 1957 Chevy Bel Air Townsman 4 door! We plan on having seat belts professionally installed since this wlll be used as our in-town family vehicle. Would you mind sharing photos of your installed seat belts in a 4 door Townsman with bench seats front and back; ideally 3 point systems (shoulder + lap belt)? And does anyone have pics of installed child seat brackets? I've tried searching other threads on this site but the conversation threads are old so the photos are no longer there. The classic car shop that will be doing the install said they need to research the specifics as they haven't installed 3 point belts in a 57 Townsman 4 door before, so I was just trying to gather some experienced knowledge to pass along to them. Thank you in advance for your help! Pics below of the new family truckster headed our way! This will be a well-loved and cherished family car!
View attachment 342311
Congratulations on your new ride! Looks sharp! (y) I'll look around and see if I can turn up any pics of the 3-point seat belts that we added to our 4-dr sedan. It was already painted when the belts were added, so the shop had to be REALLY careful when they welded in the anchors on the door pillars so they didn't scorch the paint. It LOOKS like your door pillars are about the same width as ours, so you Should be able to Just squeeze them in with no room to spare.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congra

Congratulations on your new ride! Looks sharp! (y) I'll look around and see if I can turn up any pics of the 3-point seat belts that we added to our 4-dr sedan. It was already painted when the belts were added, so the shop had to be REALLY careful when they welded in the anchors on the door pillars so they didn't scorch the paint. It LOOKS like your door pillars are about the same width as ours, so you Should be able to Just squeeze them in with no room to spare. View attachment 342544
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Child seat anchors are structural to the new car seats. May be easier to anchor something to the floor with weld or plates and use mil-spec D-Rings on an adjustable strap of seat belt quality if you really want the quick disconnect. Otherwise, use the seatbelt to secure it once installed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts