Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys you got some fresh meat here less than an hour old. Very excited to tap into and to take advantage of all this knowledge everyone is willing to pass around so thank you in advance.

So I picked up a very clean 55 210 with a straight 6 and a powerglide. She sat for about ten years so after some fresh gas, 3.5 qts of tranny fluid, and a quick bleed of the brakes I was driving around the block!! Motor ran good overall except the #5 intake lifter appeared to be collapsed (never pulled the side cover to see if pushrod was bent) so I adjusted the rocker and it still ran pretty good in my opinion.

After a couple of days I was having trouble starting it so I focused on the fuel. Drained the tank, fresh gas, inline filter, rebuilt the carb......wouldn't start. After a week of messing with it got a reman carb off of a 265 I believe. Finally got it running with a nasty misfire, come to find out it's practically running on 3 cylinders. Pulled the cover 6 pushrods are bent.

I give comp cams a call to order new lifters and rods, I tell them what I have and the guy informs me that gm used the same size lifter in all sbc,4s,and 6s which I was kind of surprised but a nice little tid bit if info. After I ordered them up I went to my buddies house where the car is and tried to put one of the lifters in a spare sbc he had laying around and guess what it didn't fit not even close. I measured the lifter and it came out to .976 approx. I say approx. because all I had was an old mic and I don't know how accurate it is. But I can safely say it's different then the common .842 used on all other gm motors. I called up comp cams again and he told me he never had a problem with the 235 motor,and had nothing close to the number I gave him.

He also said one possibility could be I guess back in the day gm messed up the lifter sizes for about a year and had to get oversized lifters from a private supplier. The only problem is they are supposedly over 1 in. which mine are not. Another possibility would be someone was already in the motor and put oversized lifters in it?? That's where I'm at right now praying you guys can shed some light on this.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
:sign0016:Cadillac :wavey:

·
Registered
66,306 Posts
:hello: hi ya and welcome. good to have you here. maybe some info in the library area on this. could also try the search option. :anim_25:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I'd find out why there are 6 bent pushrods before replacing the pushrods and lifters. Sometimes when a engine sits for years the valves will get stuck either from gummy deposits hardening or plain old rust.

Regards, Robert

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Hey guys you got some fresh meat here less than an hour old. Very excited to tap into and to take advantage of all this knowledge everyone is willing to pass around so thank you in advance.

So I picked up a very clean 55 210 with a straight 6 and a powerglide. She sat for about ten years so after some fresh gas, 3.5 qts of tranny fluid, and a quick bleed of the brakes I was driving around the block!! Motor ran good overall except the #5 intake lifter appeared to be collapsed (never pulled the side cover to see if pushrod was bent) so I adjusted the rocker and it still ran pretty good in my opinion.

After a couple of days I was having trouble starting it so I focused on the fuel. Drained the tank, fresh gas, inline filter, rebuilt the carb......wouldn't start. After a week of messing with it got a reman carb off of a 265 I believe. Finally got it running with a nasty misfire, come to find out it's practically running on 3 cylinders. Pulled the cover 6 pushrods are bent.

I give comp cams a call to order new lifters and rods, I tell them what I have and the guy informs me that gm used the same size lifter in all sbc,4s,and 6s which I was kind of surprised but a nice little tid bit if info. After I ordered them up I went to my buddies house where the car is and tried to put one of the lifters in a spare sbc he had laying around and guess what it didn't fit not even close. I measured the lifter and it came out to .976 approx. I say approx. because all I had was an old mic and I don't know how accurate it is. But I can safely say it's different then the common .842 used on all other gm motors. I called up comp cams again and he told me he never had a problem with the 235 motor,and had nothing close to the number I gave him.

He also said one possibility could be I guess back in the day gm messed up the lifter sizes for about a year and had to get oversized lifters from a private supplier. The only problem is they are supposedly over 1 in. which mine are not. Another possibility would be someone was already in the motor and put oversized lifters in it?? That's where I'm at right now praying you guys can shed some light on this.
The first thing to figure out is whether you have solid or hydraulic lifters. :D

If you have solids, cranking down/tightening the rockers will bend the pushrods.

As a rule, the PG cars had hydraulics, the manual cars had solids, but you don't know what has been changed over the years.

When you say "oversize", are you speaking of the lifter diameter or the lifter length? I would have to assume length ???

I rebuilt or had rebuilt 2 54 Corvette motors. They were 235's with solid lifters.

The original lifters were the early/original "milk can" style. When I replaced the cams (from Patrick's, BTW) the new cams came with shorter lifters, and thus had longer pushrods. You could not "mix and match". :D

A picture would be helpful.

Chuck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are hydraulic, sorry forgot to mention that. I just got the ones I ordered from comp cams today and they are wrong. The part # is 812-12 and when you look it up it says for chevy 6 cylinder 194-292 cubic inch, does not specify year though. I had tech support look it by year so maybe it's not the original motor? When I say oversize I mean width. The new ones are .842" just like all sb and bb, while mine are around .976". I'll get some pics tomorrow, and grab the block #,s to see if it's the original motor.

As far as the springs go did notice that when tapped them with a hammer and all the intake ones just seemed a lot more stiff. I don't know if it was enough to bend those pushrods those things are pretty thick. Since I have it torn apart I was going to take them off and do a cylinder leakage test to make all the valves are seating. And then what's a good way of ruling out the springs measure installed and uninstalled height? Is it possible since I never did a lead additive it caused all these problems? This may seem like a silly question but please take it easy on me I was born in 85, what exactly does the lead do?

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
They are hydraulic, sorry forgot to mention that. I just got the ones I ordered from comp cams today and they are wrong. The part # is 812-12 and when you look it up it says for chevy 6 cylinder 194-292 cubic inch, does not specify year though. I had tech support look it by year so maybe it's not the original motor? When I say oversize I mean width. The new ones are .842" just like all sb and bb, while mine are around .976". I'll get some pics tomorrow, and grab the block #,s to see if it's the original motor.
Well, I'm no engine guru, but the 235 CI straight six is a different "series" than the 194-292 series. As I recall, the 194-292 series came out in about 1962 or 1963. I had a 63 Nova convertible with a straight six back then.

I wonder if you have the right parts?

The 216-235 CI engines came out in the late 30's. As I recall, the 216 had a "slinger" oil system, whereas the 235 had a full pressure system.

Here is a pic of a 235CI block. Is this what you have?

What are the casting numbers and casting dates on the block you have?

Also, what does the valve cover look like?

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Tetra-eythl lead was used to help raise octane of the fuel and also would build up a small amount on the valve seats to provide a protective layer of lead to prevent valve seat recession/erosion on cast iron heads. not having it wont cause valves to stick
in the mid 70's the lead was removed with the advent of catalytic converters due to the lead causing both o2 sensors and the converters to fail and the fact that lead is a poison.

The automobile industry had to start hardening the cast iron valve seats or using hard seat inserts to guarentee normal valve-seat life.

You can run a older engine without lead or a additive but under some conditions the seats wear may out sooner than expected usually engines ran at high loads see the most wear in that area. Some engines seem to suffer
little wear and others a good deal more. Usually the exhaust seats are ones that wear the most due to the heat speading up the process.

The problem can be delt with by having hardened seats installed in the head
when you get it rebuilt or by using a later model head thats already set up for use with unleaded fuel. In your case on a 235 i-6 your going to have to
have the seats installed when and if yours wear out.

Regards, Robert

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for explaining that Robert very informative. So I fianally got these pictures, and even though my motor doesn't look as good as Chucks I still think it's a 235. The one lifter on left is a sbc which comp cams said should work. As you guys can see the one on the right came out of my motor a lot bigger. Also you guys notice the VL-46 stamped on it, any ideas? Also which part of the casting #s indicate actual motor type?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
That's most definitely a 235. :D

I cannot explain the difference in the lifter diameter. I rebuilt or had rebuilt 2 of those blocks when I had my 54 Corvette.

They were solid lifter motors. The cams and lifters came from Patricks.

I do recall that the lifters were different "heights" than the stock "milk can" style factory solids, and thus required different lengths of pushrods, but the OD of the lifter was the same.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Thanks for explaining that Robert very informative. So I fianally got these pictures, and even though my motor doesn't look as good as Chucks I still think it's a 235. The one lifter on left is a sbc which comp cams said should work. As you guys can see the one on the right came out of my motor a lot bigger. Also you guys notice the VL-46 stamped on it, any ideas? Also which part of the casting #s indicate actual motor type?
Caddy, I can;t recall if my 6's had bigger lifters or not. Someone on here must have a loose 235 lifter laying around they can measure to give you something to compare yours to.
I agree patricks is the place to talk to, also www.stovebolt.com is a website dedicated to chevy 6 cyl engines that has a forum to ask questions.
Not many people appreciate the old stovebolt but its a great engine. I had one in high school that would keep up with most 283's and got great mileage.

Note, after I posted this, I see someone located the egge lifters you have. I would suspect you may have a hotter cam and maybe a milled head on your 235, if someone went to the trouble of putting aftermarket lifters in it. Good luck with your odessy.
Gary

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
and your valve cover is on backwards. that will make it tough to put oil in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts