Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post. I love this site. Lots of good info.

I have a '56 150 with a 235. I'm replacing a cracked head. From this site, I learned my head is not original. Casting code 3835913 makes it a '54 or earlier. I found a head with the correct casting code, 3836848, (55-62).

Is the rocker assembly the same between the older and newer heads?

Is the Eastwood engine paint #51617 the correct blue? I found this post but, there was no conclusion.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102339

Other posts recommended Hirsch paint
http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EE-QUART&variation=CHV%20BLUE

I was ready to buy the Hirsch paint at $37 but, the $18 shipping persuaded me otherwise.

·
Premium Member
11,668 Posts
The 5913 head was used in 55. I have to check my numbers book, but may also have been used in 56. The 848 head is rumored to have been first used in 56. The 59 and up 848 head is slightly different than the 56-57 848 head in terms of oiling and rocker arms. The 58-up heads had slightly higher combustion ratio. Look at your casting dates for your 5913 head and the 848 head and let's see what you actually have,we can go from there. Also, let's decode your vin to see if you have an early 55 which would explain a 54 casting date for the head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to the Stovebolt site, the 5913 head was used on 54-55 cars and trucks.
http://1954advance-design.com/Stovebolt-engine/casting-numbers.html

The Danchuk specification sheet says all 55-57 6 cylinders had the 6848 head so, there's a little bit of a discrepancy.
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294

If the Stovebolt site is correct, my '56 may have come from the factory with a leftover 55 head but, my serial number is in the 60,000 area for the California plant. So, that makes me doubtful. If Danchuk is right, the 5913 isn't correct for a '55 either so, a '56 would have no chance of receiving that head.

Regardless, I'm going to have to replace it. I'm just hoping I don't have to replace the rocker assembly, also.

·
Premium Member
11,668 Posts
I appreciate the discrepancy but the fact remains that a 5913 head can be found on a 55 and after checking my records, an early 56. The issue with your 848 head is whether it is a later 848 head or the 56-57 848 head. It makes a difference as there may be a modification that has to be done on one of the head bolts depending on the head and block combo. So, lets date code the head you have. Also, take a look at your port for the temperature gauge sender. There were two sizes, with the 5913 head having a threaded port opening different then the 848 head although I forget without looking whether the 5913 is larger or smaller, I am thinking smaller but not sure. I will look and confirm. With respect to the rockers, take one of the arms off and look inside. You should see a groove on the inside that intersects with the spit hole for the rocker arm, if so, you have the set for 55-57. If the grove is offset and does not intersect the spit hole, it's from the later 59-62 motors. One of the issues with the later head is that the orifice to feed the rockers was enlarged and the system was slightly modified to create a little
more of a pressurized system. Using a later head with earlY rockers sends too much oil to the rockers and has it spurting out onto the inside of the valve cover instead of trickling onto the rocker arms and springs to keep them cool so it does make a difference. So let's start with the date code of your block and the head you want to use and we can figure this out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First let me say a big "Thanks!!" for taking the time to research my problem.

I appreciate the discrepancy but the fact remains that a 5913 head can be found on a 55 and after checking my records, an early 56.
I agree it's possible. I'm thinking the '55 had either a 5913 or 848. When searching, I found both a '55 and a '56 with 848. I doubt mine came with a 5913 because, my production number is in the 60,000 range for the CA plant. Seems kind of late for a leftover 5913 head. For me, it's a moot point. The 5913 I have is cracked.

The issue with your 848 head is whether it is a later 848 head or the 56-57 848 head. It makes a difference
I may be in trouble then. My replacement 848 is definitely later. It came from a '60 pickup.

With respect to the rockers, take one of the arms off and look inside.
Stay tuned. I haven't torn it down, yet.

So let's start with the date code of your block and the head you want to use and we can figure this out.
Block is orginal, ends with "56Y". Head is from a '60. After the head teardown, I may find I need the rocker assembly. I happened to talk to Patrick's in Casa Grande. He knew I was looking for a head. I told him about my dilemma and he thought my rocker assembly would be fine. He's been selling parts for many years but, you never know. Nobody's right all the time.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
My dad liked the 235s and had trouble with rocker assembly interchangeability but never quite figured it out with his last car, put up with the clicking and periodically removed the cover to put white grease on the contact points.

·
Premium Member
11,668 Posts
Ok so no 55 came with an 848 head. 56 and up. Not sure what 56y is. Date code should be a letter followed by either two or three numbers. See if you can find the date code. I just checked one of my 5913 heads and it has the smaller temp sender port, should be 5/8. The 848 is larger. Check you temp sender and see what size it is. The 60 head will fit but the connector that goes between the two halves of the rocker assembly on a 60 is different then a 55-57 in that it is a different shape than your 55-57 assembly connector and was also pinched off to pressurize the system on the 60. So you may have to scrounge up a later connector. Somewhere is a thread where I put-up some pictures of the different connectors. Just as an FYI, the 5913 head is an easier head to come by then the 848, and no issues with your rockers and temp sender. So you might look around for that head as the swap would be easier. Also, if I were you, since you are tearing the motor apart this far, go a little further and pull the side cover. Underneath you will see a steel line that runs from the back cam bearing to the middle
of the block just under the head. Remove this line and make sure it is squeaky clean on the inside. This is the feed for the rockers and is notorious for clogging up and preventing oil from reaching the rockers, which eventually causes the shafts to gall and take out the pushrod adjuster balls making the assembly junk and needing a rebuild. If you do go with the 60, two things to double check. After you install it and start the motor, make sure the rockers are getting oil otherwise you will mess up the rocker assembly. Second, when it's running, if it is getting oil, make sure it's not spitting beyond the rockers. The oil needs to come out of the rocker spit hole and dribble over the rocker and spring. If it's just flinging oil all mover, you may have to switch to the later rockers

·
Registered
131 Posts
Regarding paint -- Eastwood has the wrong color -- too blue. Eastwood makes some great stuff though -- their phosphate paints for the suspension parts (drag link, etc.) is great stuff.

You want the one that Bill Hirsch sells: http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EEA-SPRAY&variation=CHV BLUE

The blue on the 6 cylinders is kind of a blue with a green tinge. The paint Bill Hirsch sells is spot on. I am quite impressed with the color match. High gloss and heat resistant. Downer is the price: $17 a can.

Gregg.

·
Premium Member
11,668 Posts
The color thing has been discussed before and I am with you. My dad gave me my 57 in 77, he bought it in 65 with 19K on the odometer, I got it with 32K and I distinctly remember that the blue was not a true blue, it had a tinge of green to it. I have some older chevy blue paint i bought years ago at a swap meet and its not the right color, I have seen the eastwood product and its not right, I have not seen the Hirsch Blue but no matter, I am sticking to my guns that it was a blue but it definitely had green tones to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts