Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
50,412 Posts
I think that that is going to be a tell/tell sign of rust in the roof. If you have to repair that you probably will end up with a total repaint since matching the color would be a nightmare.
Terry

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,758 Posts
would want to check it out in person. might have some issues, but not a bad price for a 2dr. :party0031:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
DCS:

That bubbly rust in the drip rail doesn't look too good especially for being a "California Parade Car." Not to mention that rear window trim doesn't look like it's put on correctly. I don't see too many cars with rust in the drip rail area unless the rest of the car has tons of rust as well, this is just from my experience. I would ask for lots more pictures of the underneath, wheel wells, inside the trunk, etc. If he isn't willing to take those pictures for you and email them to you, move along as he has something to hide.

But I would certainly go look at it if it isn't too far away. I wouldn't buy it without seeing it person. If you go, take a magnet with you and put it all over the car and see where it doesn't stick or stick too well. Look underneath at the inner rocker panels. Pull up the corners of the carpet and check the floors out. Look in the trunk near the tail pan for rust and on the latch area of the deck lid inside as well for rust.

Most of all, be patient. These cars pop up ALL the time. The ONLY draw back is that you most likely will have to travel to see one.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya'll are correct. Got some more pics today and I was not at all pleased with what I saw.
I appreciate the input. I'm still trying to "learn" these cars and what to look for.
Back to the hunt....

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Ya'll are correct. Got some more pics today and I was not at all pleased with what I saw.
I appreciate the input. I'm still trying to "learn" these cars and what to look for.
Back to the hunt....
The hunt for the car is part of the fun. I made many trips hunting for my 56. One trip was to MO. We flew into Fayetteville, AR and then drove for 3 hours for a 56 that "looked" pretty good! The second I drove up I knew I wanted nothing to do with it. So, it was 3 more hours back to the airport. Then to fly home!

Stick with it. Search Craigslist EVERYDAY. Search all cities. And search with different key words, i.e.: 55 Bel Air, 1955 Bel Air, 55 Chevy, 55 Chevrolet, etc. etc. And you'll be amazed at how many are out there. It took me a good year to find mine and it came right from one of our good TriFive Members: BadBoy56. So you never know when/where your car is gonna find you! Good luck and be prepared to be addicted. Once you are in, you can't get out! :sign0020: :party0031: :D :anim_25:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I've drug my trailer far and wide and have come home empty more than I care to recall. I'm a car guy, so I love the hunt. There's one in the classifieds on here I'd like to have, but its just so far.
I'll take my time though. I've wanted a tri-5 for 30 years. Just finally decided nothing's gonna stop me this time...

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
That bubbly rust in the drip rail doesn't look too good especially for being a "California Parade Car." Not to mention that rear window trim doesn't look like it's put on correctly. I don't see too many cars with rust in the drip rail area unless the rest of the car has tons of rust as well, this is just from my experience. I would ask for lots more pictures of the underneath, wheel wells, inside the trunk, etc. If he isn't willing to take those pictures for you and email them to you, move along as he has something to hide.
Even in Ohio you don't see much of this.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Thanks, I've drug my trailer far and wide and have come home empty more than I care to recall. I'm a car guy, so I love the hunt. There's one in the classifieds on here I'd like to have, but its just so far.
I'll take my time though. I've wanted a tri-5 for 30 years. Just finally decided nothing's gonna stop me this time...
Take your time and enjoy the hunt....I agree, nothing like the excitement of pulling up the drive to see the next one.....:party0031:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Noticed a mention of check a lot of cities on Crigslist as one source for TriFives. That is a good idea and as was correctly stated sometimes the hunt is just as much fun as the Having. I found this pretty cool site that lets you search all of the states one at a time on Craigslist, many of you may know about this but here's a link for those who don't and just like to window shop. I know I do.

http://www.themccumbers.com/States.htm

Roland

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.