Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've become a regular at the local NAPA store and it's becoming apparent to me that buying parts for my car is EXPENSIVE! I got parts for my brakes, a water pump, radiator hose, had my drums turned, got some nuts and bolts, and have spent close to $300 in the past week! That might not be a lot of money in the grand scheme of things, but it's still THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS!:eek:

I'm not complaining, I'm just, well, okay I'm complaining, but laughing at the same time! I love to work on this car, it's all a new experience for me as some of you know, so when I do a complete brake job, replace the water pump, and fix my transmission linkage all for under $500, I feel like I've really accomplished something and saved a ton of money doing it myself.

It's just funny how it all adds up so fast!

I'm not looking forward to the big bill items like the interior, but since that's cosmetic, it can wait!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Building cars is very expensive! 25 years ago a very nice car could be built for under $20K.....today,the same car will average $50K plus! I build a few streetrods mostly for fun but still like to make a little something for the tons of hours invested in each car.It really gripes my arse when some dickweed asks the price of a car I have for sale and then proceeds to tell me that I'm "out of my mind" and "I can build that car for half of that"! My patent response is "where are you parked,I'd love to check out your car"....that usually leads to them sheepishly walking away mumbling some excuse about "It not being finished" or "I'm still looking for the right car". I genuinely enjoy talking old cars and fortunately most of the people I encounter are great to visit with.I say we just keep plugging away and spending money....Heck,if need be,we can always find the wife a second job :D

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,827 Posts
You would be suprised! I still have most of the receipts from the last project I did, a 1964 Chevy Impala. I think it was over $9k and that was a zero rust car in Arizona and all I did was rbuild the engine, tranny, wiring, and interior.
Eldon

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,827 Posts
I think what I may do, since we are on the subject of parts, is to buy parts such as doors, trunklid, hood, etc and refinish them and when I can afford the whole car, I will be halfway there. Plus it will get me back in the swing of things as far as refinishing stuff. I am a little rusty, pardon the pun! :D
Eldon

·
Administrator
49,366 Posts
Mike the old car hobby is definitly not a poor boys hobby any more. That being said, spend a liitle or a bigger chunk here and there and it doesn`t hurt near as bad. That is why mine isn`t finished yet. I`m a poor working stiff wanting to play with the big dogs,haha. Heck it`s only money.
Terry

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Heck it's only money" is one of my mottos! I have another one...."Once it's spent, it's water under the bridge."

I rarely think about "how expensive" something WAS, only how expensive it "WILL BE!"

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah Mike , I know what you mean. Right now I parked the 57 in the garage till I recover from some minor abdominal surgery. It is leaking brake fluid around the driver side front drum and I just can't see driving it when the braking power goes squishy from time to time. The fuel sending unit seems to be out also so, I may be dropping the gas tank for a third time within the last few weeks ( sure looked good when I was sealing the tank). It may just be a grounding problem I am hoping. Good to hear you are getting closer to getting your treasure on the road.

Steve

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve -- take care and get back under that car in a hurry! I don't know what minor abdominal surgery is...seems like abdominal surgery that I've had is always somewhat major. Here's to a speedy recovery!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts