Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a lot of material, both pro and con, on nitriding as a process for preventing lobe wear for a solid lifter camshaft. My 57 is being restored to stock specifications for the dual-four 270HP motor, and I am using the 3736097 camshaft. The engine shop and another builder whom I have consulted are suggesting that I shift to a roller. I do not intend to race the car. If a good zinc/phosphorous additive is used with a good quality 10W30 oil would I be likely to get lobe wipeout? In general, what are your thoughts about nitriding for a sbc non-racing use?

Thanks.

VetteGuy

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
Is this on an existing cam or new unit. I havent purchased any internals in a very long time but it seems that they have a coating of sorts.

·
Premium Member
11,705 Posts
As for oil, you mightndonsider some of the new high zinc oils like brad penn and the like. Cost a few extra dollars but made more like the oil these motors need.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If you stay with stock spec valve springs, about 80lbs, the cam should last a long time, if it's broken in properly and maintained with zinc additive or "break-in" oil(has the zinc in it already). You might want to read this article about oil and zinc:
http://www.nwquattro.com/forums/index.php?topic=1419.0;wap2

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,008 Posts
Whats the price on Nitriding it? Might be worth it. I seen prices from $100+ for car stuff most the aircraft internals are nitrided. But the oils used in aircraft still have lots of zinc anyway!

If as mentioned run a good oil and or zinc additive it will be fine.

·
Registered
37,272 Posts
I've never heard of nitriding a camshaft - only a crankshaft.

It's a fairly specialized heat treating process. Chevy nitrided some crankshafts over the years - but certainly not all.

Your existing camshaft is probably induction hardened, or a similar process. Nitriding an already hardened material probably isn't even possible.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Comp Cams has patented a process for Nitriding flat tappet cam shafts called Pro Plasma Nitriding. I toured through Comps facility in Memphis a few years ago and they said they do Nitriding in house.
You can contact them "Cam Help" at 1-800-999-0853 to help in your decision.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you stay with stock spec valve springs, about 80lbs, the cam should last a long time, if it's broken in properly and maintained with zinc additive or "break-in" oil(has the zinc in it already). You might want to read this article about oil and zinc:
http://www.nwquattro.com/forums/index.php?topic=1419.0;wap2
Thanks, Tom. The article gets into the details, which is what I need. Probably should read it two or three times.

Dick Nance

REMEMBER WHEN of Newport
P.O. Box 130
Newport, VA 24128

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
X2

If you stay with stock spec valve springs, about 80lbs, the cam should last a long time, if it's broken in properly and maintained with zinc additive or "break-in" oil(has the zinc in it already).
This would be my choice also. For the cost to retrofit a '57 SBC for a roller setup, you could buy a darn good plasma cutter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts