Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't running horns for a while, but I do know the wiring for them was working. I did this wiring conversion a year ago http://www.1957-chevrolet-alternator-conversion.com/conversion.html due to my wiring harness getting ripped out, and seems to work... I found some original horns and to my surprise they weren't working after being wired to the car. (Yes the horns work!) From the link I posted, there was some horn relay wiring going on, don't know if that's the reason? Anyone have a clue? I did the wiring exactly as described in the link.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
If you have these wires in place:
"Positive terminal of battery to “B” terminal on horn relay.
“B” terminal of horn relay to alternator terminal number 2", you should have power to the horn relay. Do you? Check with a test light or meter. If you have power, then ground the dark green wire on the horn relay and listen for a click or horn. If nothing, the relay is bad or the wiring to horns is open. If horns blow, wire to steering column isn't being grounded.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Don, I'll check and post later in the day.

This alternator wiring is complicated. How would the horn relay get power if the alt. was not wired to it?

·
27,022 Posts
Thanks for the reply Don, I'll check and post later in the day.

This alternator wiring is complicated. How would the horn relay get power if the alt. was not wired to it?
"Positive terminal of battery to “B” terminal on horn relay", gets power to the horn relay.

You add 3 wires. A short 12 gauge from alt #2 to horn B, A longer 12 gauge from horn B to battery positive, and a #10 from alt output post to battery positive. Move brown wire from gen to alt 1.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turns out the reason the horns weren't blowing was because I had my steering wheel painted. The paint was covering up the metal contact surface that the round spring disc (dunno correct name) hits when horn is pressed. Problem solved!

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
Turns out the reason the horns weren't blowing was because I had my steering wheel painted. The paint was covering up the metal contact surface that the round spring disc (dunno correct name) hits when horn is pressed. Problem solved!
Great pick up make sure the parts go back the right way.

·
27,022 Posts
The paint was covering up the metal contact surface that the round spring disc (dunno correct name) hits when horn is pressed. Problem solved!
:tu
FYI, it's called a Belleville spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts