Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks. Problem appears to be solved. Don, thanks for helping me fix the electrical issues.

With the help from here, I bought the fittings and hose from a place called "Performance Dynamics" on ebay. Parts list:

#6 Pushlock Hose
#6 Straight Pushlock Hose End
#6 - 90 degree Pushlock Swivel Hose End
#6 Male to 1/4" NPT Straight Fitting

I had to buy these parts from Summit to adapt the Corvette Fuel Pressure Regulator to the hose:

Russell #640853 (black but they come in blue for $1 less) - Push on EFI fitting - #6 AN to 3/8"

Russell #640863 (black also) - Push on EFI fitting - #6 AN to 5/16"

This pushlock hose assembles easily and is rated to 400 psi. One end of the fitting has a barb. The ebay guy suggested transmission oil but I used 3-in-1 oil, put it on the barb end, place in a vise, and push on the hose. It took a bit of twisting to get it on all the way but it eventually does. It does NOT come off unless you cut it.

Thanks again for the help. No more leaks or gas smell in the garage. Glad it's over.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Terry. Drove it tonight and it seems alright. I still have a whine in my PS pump though. While fixing the fuel problems, I also upsized the low pressure hose to 5/8 and added Lucas PS fluid along with regular fluid. It was real quiet when it first started but when I returned home, it was back to it's loud self again. The pumps are fairly cheap to replace but not as easy to remove and install. I might keep it on there for a season and see if it works itself out?

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
Yes, Terry. Drove it tonight and it seems alright. I still have a whine in my PS pump though. While fixing the fuel problems, I also upsized the low pressure hose to 5/8 and added Lucas PS fluid along with regular fluid. It was real quiet when it first started but when I returned home, it was back to it's loud self again. The pumps are fairly cheap to replace but not as easy to remove and install. I might keep it on there for a season and see if it works itself out?
:party0031: , and sounds like u might need to change ps pump , and yes, try the lucas ps pump fluid, it helps, tried it in my pick up, still quite and working :D I completely mt'd pump and added lucas straight to correct level for pump

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,680 Posts
F-body pump isn't it? They are notorious for making noise. Might try adding a PS cooler and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
What do you have for a Power Steering Reservoir? May have an issue with the fluid foaming when it gets hot. Pump won't get enough fluid when it gets hot and will whine like it's short of fluid (which it is since it's sucking foamy fluid).

Charlie

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Jemo,

I'm glad you got your fuel issue fixed. I had a similar problem with a loud power steering pump on an LT1 we installed in a 76 Vette a while back. The pump came from Street and Performance. They suggested switching to Pyroil brand power steering fluid. I believe it is made by Valvoline and you can get it at Tractor Supply. Black bottle with yellow writing. The fluid is clear. I had my doubts, but it worked! Has been quite for over a year now.

I now use it in all the cars we work on.

Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts