Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New msd pro billet, felt like it went in to the oil drive, started the car for 15 seconds no oil pressure shut it down.
Cranked the engine got about 20 psi, started it, then it bleed off to 0.
Rang a fella who said fit the orings to the dizzy, did that, dropped it back in and now no oil pressure when I crank it. Too scared to start it. When I pulled the dizzy there was oil on the shaft where the o rings sit so it was getting up there.
What have I missed or is no oil pressure on the crank ok to fire for 10 seconds.
The car normally get pressure straight up on start but cant recall about cranking.
I am pretty concerned.!!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
New msd pro billet, felt like it went in to the oil drive, started the car for 15 seconds no oil pressure shut it down.
Cranked the engine got about 20 psi, started it, then it bleed off to 0.
Rang a fella who said fit the orings to the dizzy, did that, dropped it back in and now no oil pressure when I crank it. Too scared to start it. When I pulled the dizzy there was oil on the shaft where the o rings sit so it was getting up there.
What have I missed or is no oil pressure on the crank ok to fire for 10 seconds.
The car normally get pressure straight up on start but cant recall about cranking.
I am pretty concerned.!!
Take the dist out and use a priming tool to make sure everything is alright. Does not sound like there is any problem.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I would also check the oil pump drive and new dissy drive to ensure no damage.
I personally would not fire until i had oil pressure at least on turn over.
As you stated no oil pressure after 10 - 15 seconds is not good for any engine.
Also maybe remove sender (beside dissy) and fit a gauge to it. Problem may be your gauge in car or sending unit and not the engine. Hears hoping and good luck

·
Registered
2,275 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Is this a new build, or just a distributor change? Was anything else changed at the same time?

I don't have experience with orings on a distributor but believe they are to improve sealing of the distributor to the block rather than relying on the neat fit. If installed correctly, dont think it likely they would cause a loss of pressure.

As CNC mentioned above using an oil priming tool would be a good idea to check things.

·
Premium Member
16,824 Posts
If this is not a fresh engine build you don't need to prime anything just because you swapped a distributor. I would look at the oil pressure switch or line. Since it is so close to the distributor you could have knocked a connector loose or crimped the line. :anim_25:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You raise the question about oil pressure so you must have some doubts. I would NOT start the motor until I was sure I had pressure. I would pull a valve cover and the distributor, then insert an oil pump priming tool into the oil pump drive shaft. Hook up an electric drill and spin the tool/oil pump shaft until you see oil coming out of your pushrods. When this happens you can re-install the valve cover and the distributor being sure to index the distributor to the oil pump drive shaft. Then you can safely start the motor without fear of oil starvation.

Don

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
You raise the question about oil pressure so you must have some doubts. I would NOT start the motor until I was sure I had pressure. I would pull a valve cover and the distributor, then insert an oil pump priming tool into the oil pump drive shaft. Hook up an electric drill and spin the tool/oil pump shaft until you see oil coming out of your pushrods. When this happens you can re-install the valve cover and the distributor being sure to index the distributor to the oil pump drive shaft. Then you can safely start the motor without fear of oil starvation.

Don
Why pull the valve cover when you can see the pressure on a gauge?

OZ, the seal at the top of the dist. shaft is only to keep oil from leaking around the shaft, it has no effect on the pressure. For some reason there must be a misfit between the dist and the oil pump. The dist drives the oil pump so if it isn't fitting properly there won't be any pressure.
t

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Check to make sure the dist is seated properly. I use my finger to feel for any gap between the dist and the intake. It can get crowded back there. Are you tightening the dist clamp.

Get the priming tool. I think I paid $12 for one from summit. Get a cheap mech gauge they cost around $10. Run the priming tool and check the mech gauge for pressure. If you get pressure, go on to the next reason the gauge is bad. Could be a bad sensor.

Also, If the gauge is elec, some will not show oil pressure while cranking. Seems like most wiring seups work this way:anim_25:

·
Registered
38,740 Posts
First of all, let me say I've never used one of those distributors with the o-rings on the body.

That said, the distributor body must seal on the block bores so that oil pressure is directed through the groove on the distributor body and on to the camshaft area. If the distributor body/o-rings don't fit right to the bores in the block (doubtful), or if the distributor does not drop down far enough, you have a giant leak and no oil pressure.

If the distributor has an adjustable collar to compensate for a tall deck, etc., this may be the source of the problem, if it's not assembled in the right location.

When I had an engine with this problem, it had oil pressure for a short time on cold startup, then it lost pressure as the oil warmed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info guys. My oil gauge line comes off the side of the block where my oil safety switch is.
Secondly I did get a small amount of pressure when I shut it down then relised that I had no oil.
I have pulled the valve cover there wasn't much oil up too.
I'm at work for a few more hours then will hook in

·
RIP 02-03-2022
50,809 Posts
Why pull the valve cover when you can see the pressure on a gauge?

I suggested pulling the valve cover to eliminate the possibility of a defective oil pressure gauge. When you have oil showing at the pushrods you KNOW for sure you're getting oil pressure.

Don

Very good info.....only I'd take off both and prime to make sure oil on both sides......dizzy gasket is not your problem, It keeps oil in. :anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The dist was engaged in the pump drive it was just up enough to cause a a issue with the oil gallery on the dizzy.
O ring not fitted and for the simple reason that I found the dizzy sitting high. I have the afr 2 peice manifild and I noticed I could see the oring on the manifold.
Anyway all good :p3:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.