Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 265 that was just rebuilt, If i remember right the engine sounded nice when I first started it. Then I changed the oil and oil filter. When I started it the lifters started ticking. I changed to to a thicker oil same problem.
So I thought it was lifters so I replaced them with new ones still same problems. The 265 has an adapter kit to use a screw on oil filter. I was thinking that this might be the problem. Or could it be the previous didn't install the right cam bearings. Does anyone have any ideas.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I would try to check oil pressure at the sending unit. I didn't think you could install a oil filter conversion on these engines. (The 55 ones) Maybe the 56 265 could be adapted. Just don't know. Jim

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Some 265,s needed a notch in the rear cam journal. And the cam bearings ned to be in the proper order and alighnment. randall

·
Registered
449 Posts
Pull the distributor get a oil pump priming tool it goes in place of it you put a good drill on top and spin the oil pump get a oil pressure gauge and hook it up, pull the valve covers you should have oil comming up every push rod dripping on the rockers, you might have some oil cavitation problem with the oil filter the way it is set up, if you said nothing was wrong with the motor until you changed the oil.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Was there any metal in the oil when you
changed it? If the cam wasn`t broke in
correctly using a zinc additive it could
have metal in the bearings. I hope not.
Later Tony

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I have found that sometimes on 6 cylinder engines one of the small "freeze plug" type plugs in the end of the block oil gallerys had popped out and left the lifter gallery pressureless. I don't know if the V8 has the same setup, if so, there is an outside chance this could happen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pls let us know what happens pls... Peter
Ill have to mess with it this weekend, I think ill buy a new adapter kit and oil filter. And see if that fixes the problem. If not I guess ill have to tear apart the Engine and check the cam and the rear cam bearing.

O ya, I'm getting 40 pounds of pressure at idle at the rear port by the distributor, maybe I should check it at the port above the timing chain cover.
What do you guys think.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
oil presssure sheck point

The front port by the timing cover is the only place I attach the oil pressure gage. If you break or bend a pushrod and toss a lifter and lose all oil pressure you see it faster here.:anim_25:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The front port by the timing cover is the only place I attach the oil pressure gage. If you break or bend a pushrod and toss a lifter and lose all oil pressure you see it faster here.:anim_25:
I thought I would mess with my 56 today and I put another oil pressure gauge this time to the front port and I have 40 pounds to both ports. So I guess ill tear it apart this weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts