Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the list and read all I can find.My 55 has disc brakes on the front . It will not make a u turn except in a empty Wall Mart LOT. The bump on the steering link is not touching the A arm at full lock. The wheel turns about 3.5 turns lock to lock. The tires do not touch anything. The power steering box has a 605 stamped on it. this is a picture of the pittman arm.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it did not touch the pipe. Just questioning is that the correct pittman arm ?

·
Registered
67,783 Posts
there are two, that does look like the correct one to use with power steering. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
I don't know what the other type looks like, but this (I believe) is the right one.
Do you get the same radius left & right? :bowtier:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
sounds like you either have the cheap 2" drop spindles from mcgaughy or cpp that ruin your turning or the just as cheap bolt on disc kit that moves the steering arm inward, either one ruins your turning.

·
Registered
227 Posts
how many turns will be normal before it locks? I also have the same issue with my turning radius. I do not have power steering but I do have 2" drop spindles and a front disk brake kit that was already installed when I got my car.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
The drop spindle design is thicker then a stock spindle, when you bolt the steering arm to it, it is moved inward causing the steering stops to hit the A arm sooner thereby ruining your turning ability. You have to grind a lot of metal off the steering stops to get your turning back, it can be done with some work.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:) As SLIM says, it may be that the steering stops need to be ground off some.
Put the car preferably on a rack or jack stands so that you can be under the car as another person turns the wheels from side to side to see exactly what it is hitting. If it is hitting the steering stops, grind some off of both sides and see how much you gain.

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
there are two, that does look like the correct one to use with power steering. :anim_25:
It is a manual steering pitman arm. Maybe you are thinking of the 2 manual steering pitmans, one works better with headers. The power steering pitman does not have a built in ball stud, it has a tapered hole to accept the tapered ball stud from the PS valve, so there would be a slotted nut and cotter pin evident in the pic.

AUpAUL says his stops do not hit his a-arms, and the pitman does not hit his headers.

I'm guessing it's poorly designed dropped spindles and/or front disc brakes.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The drop spindle design is thicker then a stock spindle, when you bolt the steering arm to it, it is moved inward causing the steering stops to hit the A arm sooner thereby ruining your turning ability. You have to grind a lot of metal off the steering stops to get your turning back, it can be done with some work.
I have read about this so was ready to grind away. But it is not close to hitting. The tires do not hit.Can,t find anything hitting. The wheels barely turn out from finder weld at full lock..? This is with weight on the wheels. Next will lift weight and see if this changes .. Ideas welcomed!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
So maybe it's internal to the 605 gear.

Remove the pitman arm from the gear and see if you have full travel left and right.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I have the 500 box and dropped spindles, even with the old manual box and stock spindles my car had a problem turning in a tight circle. I do see a very slight improvement with the 500. The problem is the original design and so if you want to steer like a modern car you need modern suspension/frame design like the Art Morrison's set-up. I like the way my car turns and I understand it is old technology.

Joebowtie-trifive

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jalapeño, that is my plan after I lift the weight and see what that will do.
Joe I understand that the mixed technology Can cause some issues. But I do not believe many would be paying to change from what my first 55 drives like to what the new one will do. I see too many people making the change. I feel something is wrong with this one. we are in Highland NC. Getting over some surgery but will jump back into this when I get home. Hope to see you at a show somewhere down the road.thanks Paul

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
AUpAUL, I am not a big fan of the 605, and I've never modified one to fit a 55-57, but I've read about it over the years. When converting a 605, you use the OEM 55-57 sector shaft (shaft that the pitman arm is connected to), and remove one tooth from each side of the gear on the sector. Maybe it's possible that whoever converted your 605 did not do that? The only way to tell would be to remove the sector and count the teeth. I think there should only be 3 teeth after the end ones are removed.

Look at the second pic in this online instruction:

http://www.carnut.com/specs/steering/pwr605.html

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks that is some good info. My thought is if I remove the 605. I would likely
Just put in the 500. I do LIKE working on them. Just great to have so many people willing to help with info.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts