Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have an intermittent noise in my 327 but only after the engine is up to operating temp. It kinda sounds like a squeak or loose fan belt and it is at idle up through the RPM range The engine has about 1000 miles on it and runs fine. I blocked the PVC valve but that did not stop it. I pulled the fan belt and that did not help either. Just looking for any clues as to where this noise could be coming from.

·
Registered
207 Posts
BEACH VETTE 6

Hey BV6 How is the oil press and levels, temp etc? Did you o/haul the eng yourself or what? Did you add any extra components ? Is the noise in the eng or trans or converter ???? Need more info. CHEERS TERRY.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We rebuilt the engine to pretty much factory specs. It has been running fine, good oil pressure, 180 on the temp. I disconnect the fan belt and still have the noise. Funny thing is that it comes and goes. I am running a 4 speed manual trans. depressing the clutch dose not change the noise.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
If the noise is coming from the front of the engine, it could be the timing chain/teeth. (Metal teeth can be a bit noisy.)

If it's coming from the rear, it could be distributor bushings.

Hopefully, you don't have an oil-starved bearing that's howling.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
try using a stethoscope to isolate the location of the noise. Place it on the valve covers, waterpump, oil pan etc while the motor is running. If you don't have one you can use a sawed off broom handle or large screw driver. lay one end against the motor and hold the other end to your ear. You can buy stethoscopes fairly cheaply ($12) at police supply stores. Good luck...

Don

·
Registered
847 Posts
The stethoscopes can be purchased at most auto supply stores. I have one but it did not locate the noise but did tell what wasn't causing the noise. It was the exhaust manifold gasket and did sound like the noise was coming from the rear of the engine. Try replacing the gaskets. A fairly easy and cheap area to eliminate as the cause.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
The timing chain and ears are new and it is for sure not the water pump. The noise dose kinda sounds like it is in the rear. Do distributor bushings often go bad?
Usually, distributor bushings get loose and the shaft wobbles, causing erratic timing. It happens from time to time.

But - years ago, we got a recall notice on a defective distributor bushing in a Honda we owned. Not all bushings were defective, so they'd only replace the distributor if it actually failed.

Trust me - when that bushing failed, we knew it. :) It made the most gawd-awful screeching noise you ever heard...

I mention the timing chain/gears because I replaced mine when I changed the cam in my '57, and it was definitely noiser than beforehand.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a long screwdriver that I listened though and determined was loudest under the right side valve cover. I pulled both valve covers observed the rockers while the engine was running. I observed nothing out of the ordinary even when it was making the chipping sound. I went ahead and re-adjusted the rockers and re installed the covers. The chirping sound last about 20 seconds and then goes a way only to come back a minute or so later.
there is no miss when it makes the noise.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I had a long screwdriver that I listened though and determined was loudest under the right side valve cover. I pulled both valve covers observed the rockers while the engine was running. I observed nothing out of the ordinary even when it was making the chipping sound. I went ahead and re-adjusted the rockers and re installed the covers. The chirping sound last about 20 seconds and then goes a way only to come back a minute or so later.
there is no miss when it makes the noise.
Do you see oil spewing out of every pushrod? If not, that's the problem - one or more rocker arm balls aren't getting oil.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.