Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya'll:
I want to keep my '55 BelAir as original as possible right down to the 235 Blue Flame 6 banger. I was surfing the other day and found the "Peggy Sue" project that Cars Inc. did several years ago. One of the articles stressed the importance of updating the original heads to allow the use of modern unleaded gas to prevent excess wear etc. on the valve guides,seats etc.
Have any of you guys heard of this and what are your thoughts?
I want to be sure I get the best possible performance and reliability out of my '55 for many ears to come, and give my Grand kids a real classic to remember the "Good Ol Days" by.

Thanx

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Terry
I also think the guides and the seals need to be updated, I just was wondering if anyone out there had encountered any problems with their original engines or if the fact that these are only occasional drivers that it really doesn't effect these engines very much.
I guess what I'm really trying to decide is do I want to do an engine rebuild while I'm restoring or just leave well enough alone. (Kinda like "if it ain't broke don't fix it").

Anyway, catch ya later

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
The only thing that can be done with the guides is to knurle them which is a way of tightening them up when worn. I would be most apt to run them as is until there is a problem. I had a 67 283 which I sold to my neighbor and he drove about 60 miles a day to and from work with out a problem.
Dave

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,529 Posts
The valve seats can be ground out and replaced with hardened seats. For stock motors, it shouldn't be too expensive. I'll look through my plethora of magazines and see if I can find the article about it that I am thinking of.
Eldon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts