Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone going to Omaha week after next? Since it is going to be (relatively) close for me, I thought I'd drive up for a couple of days, especially because I've got a couple of other excuses to spend a little time there. Want to see what parts show up at the swap meet, and look at some Nomads and maybe get some ideas for mine. If anyone's going would like to say 'hello' and put a face with a name. JR

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
A friend and I and our wives are leaving here next Saturday morning; he's from TN and I'm from N. Alabama, so we'll meet in Nashville on Sat morn and 'caravan' (no, not in our Nomads, but I think he's trailering his red/cream '55 restored car). It'll will be about 1-1/2 days drive for us so we should make it to the Omaha Marriott by Sunday afternoon. Monday and Tuesday are the 'best days' - Swap meet day Monday and Show day on Tuesday!

Hope to see you there.. :)

Gary

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gary - Thanks for that head's-up...the swap meet is always the first stop on the list. Since my Nomad is just a body on a rotisserie at one shop and a bare frame in another at the moment, I'll be leaving it at home. A fellow I met in '79 at a show because we both had Nomads, and who I've been friends with ever since, decided to run up there and look around, visit the Speedway museum and a couple of other places. Looking forward to seeing you there! JR

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
better get to the swap meet on Sunday or the good stuff will be gone. We're registered but won't be able to make it due to some ailments, both hers and mine. No worries, this too will pass

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
We're heading out in the AM on the 854 mile trek to Omaha, NE and the 2019 CNA convention! WIsh us well, and we hope to meet a few of you there!

Gary

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
We're heading out in the AM on the 854 mile trek to Omaha, NE and the 2019 CNA convention! WIsh us well, and we hope to meet a few of you there!

Gary
Have fun.
And remember, pictures or it didn't happen.
:)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not an event reporter, but to prove that it did happen - I'll offer up these snapshots of a few of the cars at the Nomad Convention this week in Omaha:

IMG_72019a.jpg

IMG_72019g.jpg

IMG_72019f.jpg

IMG_72019c.jpg

IMG_72019e.jpg

IMG_72019b.jpg

A friend and I decided to take a two-day trip to Omaha to look at a few Nomads and visit a couple of area museums. We had a great trip, enjoyed the sights, learned some of things, bought a couple of parts for the Nomad project, and got to meet BamaNomad for a short visit. We had planned to leave the convention Tuesday after getting a chance to really look over the cars during judging - but rain hampered that beyond our departure. Sorry we didn't get to see more. Hopefully, someone else will offer up some more photos and commentary who was there... JR

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
We arrived back home late yesterday.. great trip but LONG drive (1900 miles there and back, including trips to the Speedway museum and SAC Air / Space Museum on Wednesday). We went to the membership meeting on Thursday morning and then decided to head home Thursday afternoon for the day and a half drive.

It was very good to meet, shake hands with and talk a bit with MR (55Madman) on Monday. I also managed to spend some $$ on parts at the meet as well. A 'new' modified part I was not previously familiar with was a replacement for the 'guide' for the tailgate cables which used a roller for the cable. This should really help with life of the cables! I paid $60 for a pair of them which supposedly bolt in exactly as the original parts (inside the quarters). I also purchased an original center tailgate bar and handle (needing rechrome) and some stainless for the vent glasses (which I wasn't sure I had all the parts for the '57 I'm working on now).

My camera got dropped or ??? and malfunctioned; I went to Walmart and bought a replacement, but without my computer there I was unable to get it working... :( Thus no pix.

There were 107 Nomads pre-registered and the great majority of them were there, and 10 new members signed up (a couple with their Nomads). At the membership meeting, it was reported that we have over 1300 memners now but they didn't have a number for the 'number of Nomads owned' by the members (although they apparently have the data).

SPEEDWAY MUSEUM: was FANTASTIC... much more than I had expected. 3 floors, 160,000 sq ft, over 150 cars and 600? engines. More flathead Fords than I'd ever seen, many with one-off mods and special parts; several with ARDUN heads! I think I could have spent a week going thru the museum so one day was not enough! Any of you close enough to Lincoln NE who haven't been there should definitely plan a trip!!

My wife and i also spent a few hours in the SAC Air and Space Museum. Offutt AFB was the SAC headquarter base when I was in, but I found out SAC was 'reorganized/deleted?' in 1992, but the Museum has many of the old (and newer) Strategic war planes including a B52, B36, B2, U2, B58, FB-111, SR-71, F101, F102, etc .. etc... I was an avionics repairman for the navigation equipment on many/most of the planes in there... brought back a few memories! :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for filling in some highlights Gary - we visited the Speedway and SAC museum also, and had the exact same thoughts....a must see for anyone in the area. I had pre-arranged a visit to Offutt, as my family was there when I came along, so I went on a little reunion tour of the base and surrounding area. I was shocked to learn the base had had up to 15 feet of flood water in certain areas which caused heavy building and equipment losses. They are busy overcoming the problems, and I am as proud as ever of our Air Force and the people who make it so great. To your question - SAC was de-commissioned in 1992 and replaced by StratCom - they have things well in hand.

I had to laugh about the Nomad cable guide...that was something I didn't know existed, and stumbled on probably just as you did. Glad I picked one up, and already have the old ones out!

JR

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
Here you are Dave... I scanned his information/installation sheet for you. His name and contact is at the bottom of page 1.

Ronald Van Nattan, 1429 S. Biscay Ct, Aurora, CO 80017 phone (303) 755-7170

I was told that he was previously selling these at $100, but at the convention in Omaha he sold them for $60.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts