Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
1955 Nomad ,The PO did not have dome lights in car , I am going to replace them but not sure where they mount . Should I have this in the car ? Mine has more of a half moon looking tab on both sides.
On a Nomad there are two lights, one above each B pillar, The mount is present on all Nomads since this was standard equipment. Why would someone remove them? Did he have under dash courtesy lights instead?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
58, what is the status of your Headliner & Wiring. ?
If Headliner is already in. You should be able to feel opening above B post .
Dave

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PO had a one piece headliner in place with dome lights in center of headliner over front seats and another over rear seats. No roof bows so I had to source a set of those also, man the nomad tax is really getting tough.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured that’s where it went , but the bracket is nothing like the first picture so how does it attach. I will order a set of nomad specific lights but wasn’t sure how they would mount on what I have.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,828 Posts
Here are some photos for you to see what it needs to look like. From your photos the metal retainer the dome lamp assembly is screwed to have been removed.

Mikey

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mikey , that’s what I was afraid had happened, now I need to fab something up . Your Pics help a lot

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I figured that’s where it went , but the bracket is nothing like the first picture so how does it attach. I will order a set of nomad specific lights but wasn’t sure how they would mount on what I have.
Glad Mikey had a photo for you. It looks more like the brackets were cut off, not removed. Not a simple bracket due to the angled tabs where the screws go. Might take quite a bit of hand filing to obtain that shape. Might consider making it without the tabs so you can use a hole saw, then welding on the tabs. You can use the light housings as a fixture to hold the tabs while they are tack welding if you have old ones. Do you have old lamp housings to use? Do you have a TIG welder, or know someone that does? Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad Mikey had a photo for you. It looks more like the brackets were cut off, not removed. Not a simple bracket due to the angled tabs where the screws go. Might take quite a bit of hand filing to obtain that shape. Might consider making it without the tabs so you can use a hole saw, then welding on the tabs. You can use the light housings as a fixture to hold the tabs while they are tack welding if you have old ones. Do you have old lamp housings to use? Do you have a TIG welder, or know someone that does? Good luck.
I do not have any of the parts for the dome light , which is why I wasnt sure how it would mount . After seeing pics of what should be there it all makes sense.
Between me and one of my buddies we should be able to fab something up, cant really weld in place as car is just back from paint, I like where the original lights were but may end up doing something else . I may get the new units and just fab up around them and screw the plate into place once covered it will look the same. This was a really nice car but built in the late nineties , so it was shaved of most of the original emblems , Hood bird handles etc,etc. Its been a pita just to get it back to normal .

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
58. My suggestion is take up JR’s offer to make a template for you.
There should be plenty of room between roof structure and painted roof to tack weld in. Take a look at clearance between the two in Mikey’s pictures.
Dave

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave , my buddy is also building a nomad but his is at a builders shop 75 miles away , they have not put headliner in yet so we can get a pattern from there.
JR if we cant get to it before headliner goes in I may take you up on offer, you in Springfield / Branson area ? I'm south of you in Spa City area, may have to get together after all this crap is over. We usually make it to the NSRA show in Springfield.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Mikey , thanks again for the pics, got a pair fabbed up and installed, not exactly correct but I think they will be super close , will countersink the two screws holding them on and once covered I think it will work fine
That should work fine - no one will know they weren't there all along. I'm planning on doing something very similar towards the rear of the car - an extra pair of dome lights to match the original ones in the front.
JR

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Mikey , thanks again for the pics, got a pair fabbed up and installed, not exactly correct but I think they will be super close , will countersink the two screws holding them on and once covered I think it will work fine
:tu That looks great.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I was going to add a third in rear, never did🤔
I was thinking about that myself, but with a twist. With the gate open and manually turning on the rear slider switch, the existing dome lights come on. I'm at the back and don't need to se up front and light up the entire interior, only the rear area. I was thinking of a rear light(s) independently controlled at the rear and maybe on a door switch so it comes on automatically when the gate is opened.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts