Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I was thinking about that myself, but with a twist. With the gate open and manually turning on the rear slider switch, the existing dome lights come on. I'm at the back and don't need to se up front and light up the entire interior, only the rear area. I was thinking of a rear light(s) independently controlled at the rear and maybe on a door switch so it comes on automatically when the gate is opened.
I've been pondering the same wiring options myself - join with the original two or maybe divorce them to work just off the switch at the rear... I suspect it will wind up being one of those things I think about way too much ahead of time but finally just do what's simple when actually laying out the wiring comes around. The thought of a door switch for the tailgate or liftgate is interesting, but I've not come across a simple solution thus far. There's still plenty of time at this point, though.
JR

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,826 Posts
Mikey , thanks again for the pics, got a pair fabbed up and installed, not exactly correct but I think they will be super close , will countersink the two screws holding them on and once covered I think it will work fine
No one will every know if the headliner is installed. Unless you tell them.....LOL

I would only add that you take a minute and see if the angle is proper to the headliner. I would not want to see the headliner sucked in or pushed out in this area once it is installed. It may be as simple and a push or pull to get it right.

Glad it worked out for you from the photos I posted.

Mikey

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
Nomads (maybe all wagons?) had a switch to the side of the liftgate to switch on the interior lamps when working from the rear of the car. The additional 'cargo lamps' mentioned by a couple of folks in this thread would be most beneficial if they came ON via such a switch at the gate area.

I don't always see the switch re-employed in restored cars. Maybe because the factory lamps (nomad) are too far forward to do much illumination of the cargo region?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Nomads (maybe all wagons?) had a switch to the side of the liftgate to switch on the interior lamps when working from the rear of the car. The additional 'cargo lamps' mentioned by a couple of folks in this thread would be most beneficial if they came ON via such a switch at the gate area.

I don't always see the switch re-employed in restored cars. Maybe because the factory lamps (nomad) are too far forward to do much illumination of the cargo region?
Yup. They light up where you you don't need the light. Also, if I'm somewhere in a parking lot and want to put a package in the back, or maybe at a gas station want want to retrieve something from the back, I don't really want to light up the entire interior for all to see.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Granddaughter - Papa what ya doing ?
PaPa - Cutting a hole for Dome Light
Granddaughter- Why does your car need a Dumb Light ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
No one will every know if the headliner is installed. Unless you tell them.....LOL

I would only add that you take a minute and see if the angle is proper to the headliner. I would not want to see the headliner sucked in or pushed out in this area once it is installed. It may be as simple and a push or pull to get it right.

Glad it worked out for you from the photos I posted.

Mikey
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement, thanks again Mikey for the photos, When I get the headliner done it will just be a matter of bending plate up or done to match headliner angles.

like several others I am also going to put some kind of lighting in the rear area , but I don’t want to use them switch because for starters by the time I can get to it the whole back end is already opened up and the there’s the chance I don’t turn it back off and lights stay on ,battery goes down.
On my 58 Vette I wanted light in the trunk but there was none , and I didn’t want to put a plunger type switch because it would be in the way and there was no way to make it look right. What I ended up doing was using some led strip lights that were hidden under trunk lip and the using an old school mercury switch on the hinge that would ground out when trunk was lifted and turn off when trunk lid was lowered, it works great , completely hidden.Will be doing the same for the Nomad.
Maybe this will give you guys some ideas for your cargo area.
Nick

21 - 26 of 26 Posts