Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to installing my rear curved quarter glass on my 1955 nomad, I read a lot of posts. They were of great concerns as follows:
1 the glass doesn't fit
2 the seals are bad/wrong/defective
3 seal must be trimmed to install on most all nomads
In short I found (in my case) all to be wrong.
The first thing I noticed is that over time, the glass settles downward and sucks the seal away with it.
It no longer lays OVER the exterior stainless sealing everything. The second thing I noticed was that in this process, the lower stainless gets bent downward distorting it over many years. The 3rd thing I noticed is that the seal must be installed correctly which took at least 3 attempts.
After the exterior stainless at the bottom was straightened and the seal was dead on. I placed a string on all 4 sides of the glass, pushed the glass into place and pulled the strings which pulled the seal into its intended position. The left (first side attempted) took nearly an hour. While installing it the method was understood and the right hand side took less than 5 minutes My point is this:
1 inspect and straighten lower rear stainless if needed
2 spend time with the seal and repeat installation until it is right. You can just feel it when it is correct
3 use the strings to pull the seal into position.
4 dont be afraid of the install.
I imagine many that have personally accomplished this task have "got it".
For those of you that have this job ahead of them, forget the fear and anxiety. If preparation work is done, which takes a lot of eye balling, it is a 3 minute job.
I used a strap from the front edge of the glass to a hammer handle stuck into the large relief in the c pillar to get the pull needed. I hope this helps somebody out there building a nomad.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
"I used a strap from the front edge of the glass to a hammer handle stuck into the large relief in the c pillar to get the pull needed."

Yeah...I'm not following this...but want to.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Thanks very much for this post (especially the bit about using string to pull the seal in) which is very timely for me. A while back I stupidly lifted my Nomad way, way up using a floor jack positioned just forward of the left rear wheel opening so I could shoehorn large wheel and tire assemblies into place. Lo and behold, as I stood back admiring the new rubber my eyes caught a freshly cracked quarter glass the wheelhouses directly over. Ouch! Especially since I'd replaced all of the car's glass only a few years ago.
Recently the replacement glass showed up ($300.00) and is now waiting installation. I'll try the string trick along with talcum powder, etc., but I'm not looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Pardon me , but I don’t understand the need for a string on a Nomad curved Qtr glass. Put Seal on glass, then install against ss trim . I never had troubles getting in in place. But have had trouble with Glass & Seal mating to SS curvature.
Stretch

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I'm not following the string method, either. Front windshield, yes; rear curved glass just pushes in from the inside. But whatever works for the builder. When I did the rear glass on project Snobad, one side was VERY tight, the other almost fell into place. Anytime I'm doing glass installation, as with this one, I used silicon spray for lubrication. (Yes, I'll get some debate about it, but there's simply nothing I've found that works better.) On the side that was tight, I had to use a nylon glass stick and a tucking tool (fancy putty knife) to work the rubber into position. Definitely NOT something for the feint of heart, especially when working on your friend's car!!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Pardon me , but I don’t understand the need for a string on a Nomad curved Qtr glass.
I'm not following the string method, either.
Stretch and Dave - I think what Chevyenthusiast refers to may be related to the flange issue I raised in a recent thread, and what was illustrated in an old Nomad News article from 1976:

Nomad curved glass seal conundrum | Chevy Tri Five Forum

I really wish my passenger side curved glass would've fit well enough to allow the close tolerance he describes...but the opening just wasn't going to allow it. I worked with it for 3 or 4 evenings. The driver side fit like a charm, and looked great with the flange out - but I couldn't do one side one way and the other side another.
JR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts