Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe somebody on here will be able to help me with this. I am driving down to look at a '71 Chevelle tomorrow, and the owner says it it suopposed to be a Super Sport. It is a factory 4-speed with a 350, no console with bench seat. It has SS badges front and rear. Anyone familiar with these vehicles, and, if so, is there any way to tell from the VIN if it's a true Super Sport. I thank you in advance....Bill

·
Administrator
49,495 Posts
One thing to note, some will do a "ss conversion" and not change the dash. The non-ss had the rectangle gauges and the true ss`s had the 3 round gauges. Unfortunately after 1969 the VIN identification went away.
Terry

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Ask the seller for all documentation if available to include factory invoice or original sales receipts,protecto plate,sticker, or build sheet to confirm the SS Z-15 option.The grill should have the horizontal blacked painted bars w/ SS emblem in the middle,SS emblems on the fenders and steering wheel.The SS optioned car also had the 12 bolt rearend,15'' 5-spoke wheels,disc/drum brakes and rear anti-sway bar on F-41 suspension.Also if the eng. is the original check the block cast # and the pad suffix code and numbers.Check as carefully as you can being that muscle cars can easily be cloned.Good luck,keep us updated.
Big Bob:flag4::bowtieb:

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
I own a 72 SS Convertible with a 350 motor and bench seat automatic trans. with shifter on column. I have the protecto plate and two copy's of the build sheet to prove it is a true SS. Mine also has the sport mirrors on each door. I have owned this car since 1990. You might find a copy of the build sheet in a door panel or under a seat and even on top of the gas tank.
Your getting good, interesting info from all the TriFive members, very smart bunch of people. This is the best site ever, love it. :anim_25:

·
Registered
899 Posts
Ask the seller for all documentation if available to include factory invoice or original sales receipts,protecto plate,sticker, or build sheet to confirm the SS Z-15 option.The grill should have the horizontal blacked painted bars w/ SS emblem in the middle,SS emblems on the fenders and steering wheel.The SS optioned car also had the 12 bolt rearend,15'' 5-spoke wheels,disc/drum brakes and rear anti-sway bar on F-41 suspension.Also if the eng. is the original check the block cast # and the pad suffix code and numbers.Check as carefully as you can being that muscle cars can easily be cloned.Good luck,keep us updated.
Big Bob:flag4::bowtieb:
i know you say all ss had black grills and i agree with you, but my dad has a 71 elcamino ss with a grey grill. he is the second owner at the ripe old age of 73. i checked under the car and noticed the over spray from factory, it looks to me like the grill has never been changed. we think it might be the color of the car, classic copper. i do have the build sheet and protecto plate. jeff

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
Vin should start 138.......for an SS. My first two were just Malibus and the last was an SS.....I bought all three because I like them, not for what they were.....:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I think the VIN number works for earlier ones, like 67 and older. After that, they quit that, I think. Check with the guys over at Chevelle.com. They'll steer you straight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts