Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.

You can call me Slade :D (...but if anyone here was in the Fresno Area Classic Chevy Club in the mid 90s, you'll remember me as Dan Bennett, or probably "Ron's annoying son..." :p but hopefully you'll remember the cars more ;) )

Anyway... I'm 21, loved these things a while... ever since my dad dragged this hulk into the garage when I was 5 actually.

uhh ignore the most ugly 80s pants in the world that I'm wearing.

But it looks more like this now (ahem ignore the low tire :rolleyes: )

kinda wish my dad hadn't commandeered the 15" steel wheels for use in his 59 vette :D looking to get Halibrands, or Ansen slots. 350, 4 on the floor, the usual... I like the 150. It was my first car when I was 16. Somehow I didn't wreck it, and here it is. It's my seasonal daily driver (no AC+desert= no fun)

My dad bought this one when I was 8... and it really isn't worth much without before pictures I'll tell you that. was a bit of a wreck... declined into a wrecklike state over the last few years, but work in the last week or so has reversed that. My theory is that the car is at the moment held together by nothing more than goo, and the more the car is being used, the more that goo melts and things go down. but gotta love the color ;)

Currently a bit immobile, as the water jacket exploded earlier today, right after we rebuilt most of the braking system... gotta get on that tommorow. 350 again, automatic trans of some sort... AC, that doesn't work too well :rolleyes: )

Anyway. Love these old cars... Been contemplating converting them to TPI and disc brakes, just because that'll make em better for the everyday thing. Which is kind of the goal. But I don't expect any of that anytime soon...

Semi thinking about another tri five project to stick with an LT1 I rashly bought in high school... but money might be an obstacle, heh

secret, my true love is British sports cars none of you probably care about :p but my first love is the tri five :)

looking forward to causing hopefully not too much ruckus :cool:

Slade

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Welcome Slade: hey that picture of the orange '55 could almost pass for the twin sister of the one I had in '70 thru '73 except mine was a BelAir with all the trim. She was one sweet ride 327, m22 & 4;56 rear.I sold her whe I married wife #1, shouldda kept the car and dumped her cuz she bailed in '76. Anywho jump right on in here and enjoy the fun. thanx for the pics looking good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hehe... sounds great, I sympathize :D The one in your av. looks great though. This one wasn't orange at that point... badly scanned pic, but by the time I was 16 it actually was that faded, and was so rough it looked like nasty orange primer... So had it painted C5 Vette Torch red :)

I really wish I could have taken it back to seafoam green, which I think it was at some point before at least, but didn't want to have to deal with painting the jambs etc.

thanks for the welcome :D

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Welcome aboard Slade,
Do you play the guitar? Thanks for the pictures. Your going to like it here. Great bunch of people. Do you have a plan of attack? Whats first? The crate motor or the up-dated brakes? Let us know so we can help spend your money!!!!!!!!! Happy Holiday's!

Tom

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Welcome!Looks like you've got your ducks in a row....well,except for the British Sports car part anyway :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Welcome aboard Slade,
Do you play the guitar? Thanks for the pictures. Your going to like it here. Great bunch of people. Do you have a plan of attack? Whats first? The crate motor or the up-dated brakes? Let us know so we can help spend your money!!!!!!!!! Happy Holiday's!

Tom
whoa, do you recognize me from another forum? Yeah I play guitar. Hehe... brakes are first in line :D drove it in the rain for the first time in a while today :eek: Swear I didn't mean to... snuck right up on me, but was further affirmation for discs...

A long, long time ago I wanted to put that LT1 in it... but the 350 in it now (supposedly from an early 70s Vette) runs so great I don't want to pull it. I have a TPI system and a hopeless harness though :cool:

By the way, my parents live in Folsom, and I went to high school there. You might have seen me cruising around, as it was my only car back then.

thanks all!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I asked about the guitar because of your screen name....Slade!
I played the drums for many years. Toured the west coast clubs opening for Ronnie Montrose, Y&T, Metalica, Lita Ford, Grim Reaper, Exciter, Don Dokken and Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendricks drummer). That was in the early eighty's. I didn't like starving to death and living out of cars and vans! Oh yeah!...cars....If your satisfied with your drive train right now..I would suggest upgrading anything safety related such as brakes. I have a power disc brake system from an early Camaro. It is better than the original drum brakes but leaves a lot to be desired. I plan on upgrading to a 1-1/8" master and a 8" dual diaphragm booster. The 1" master and single 7" booster is terrible in a panic stop situation.

Folsom is a beautiful area. I love to show my car there every summer. The only Tri Five Chevy's locally I can remember are Bob Bunkers "Folsom Flash" and Dave Riolo's white '55. Both were the two fastest 55's in the country at the time. Sorry for being long winded! Talk to ya later!

Tom

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
heh, oddly I've never really listened to Slade :D It's just a nickname with no real interesting stories behind it... someone just started calling me that :p

anyway, you've played with some people Tom :) So long as it was a 55 I think I could deal with living in my car, big as my room inside heh.

Mine's a bit less than the fastest in the country, but I like it ;)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Slade was an old Europeon Rock band! Cool Nickname!! But so is MikeKy55!!
My attempts at Rock N Roll as a living always seem to fall short. But it was fun! Recently sold my last kit, 1984 custom Ludwig, and a lot of woodworking tools to make room for my garage cabinets. Now I have a fun and functional shop to work on my '55. Music, sports and of course cars kept me out of trouble in my younger days. Now spending time and money on my car just gets me in trouble!!It is cool to hear younger guy's, such as yourself, carrying the torch. They are great cars and American classics. Like chevman57 said...you have a game plan...now make it happen.

Lot's of companies make brake conversion kits for our cars. Baer Brakes is a big name. Stainless Steel Brake Corporation (SSBC). DFBrakes (one of our web-site sponsors) Danchuk, Classic performance Products (CPP) and a host of others offer complete kits. All you need to do is research and click buy! There is a great article on brake systems written by Dean Oshiro. Go to Hotrodsusa.com. Click on "brakes". At the bottom of the page you will see a section titled "tech information" click on that. Find "Brake Article" click and enjoy. This may help you make your decision. Rock On Dude!!!!

Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.