Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys....I'm almost finished with my '69 Camaro and have always liked the '57 Bel Air; particularly the 4 door hardtop. I came across an ad today for this car here locally. I haven't seen it in person yet, but the seller claims it is mostly complete except the drivetrain and rear bumper. Interior is all there, as is the stainless and chrome. He also claims little rust. Asking price is $2300. Is it worth it?

Oh, and here's my Camaro -- before and after.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Hi and welcome h-bomb.

If i was you i would go and look at the car, look really close so it hasent been in a collision and also check the floorpans and trunk so its not to much rust.

Good looking Car you have.:cool:

Good Luck!

:)

Owe

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Hi and welcome h-bomb.

If i was you i would go and look at the car, look really close so it hasent been in a collision and also check the floorpans and trunk so its not to much rust.

Good looking Car you have.:cool:

Good Luck!

:)

Owe
I agree with Owe, give it a good lookover, determine if the work that you plan to do to get it where YOU want it will be worth what is being asked.
The value of a purchase of a Trifive is really in what you feel you want you spend, and how much work you are willing to do. I've seen before and after pictures that have made me wonder, "how did he git this, from that"???:confused: Anywho JMO:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
I am just guessing but thier probably is a lot more rust in the floor pan area etc, or he would be asking more.

Now this is just my opinion but based on the view and considering it probably has more rust I still think it is worth every cent of the 2300, because these cars are getting so rare, you could buy it and never work on it and still get your money back if you ever decide to sell, but realize with an open mind, that it will require a lot of hard work, so if you decide to do all the work needed it will be come a dream car, if not you can always sell it.

I am in favor of getting it before someone else does:)

otis

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
When you say no drivetrain, are you saying it has no motor or tranny? Seems a bit high priced to me and I'm biased -- I love 4dr hardtops! If it has has much rust as it looks like it does, it's just a rusty shell that needs lots of work. You could get a better one for a little more, but it just depends on what you're looking for.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I was going to say that they dont build them anymore, but they do now. I paid $2000 for my 56 a little over a year ago I got no engine, trans, or interior. Plenty of rusted out floors and trunk and oh yes the chassis. I've managed to repair the chassis and rebuild the front end and now I'm saving up for the floors.
Dave

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
h-bomb,
I agree with what the others have said. Only you know your mechanical, metal working and monitary limitations. I have seen rusted wrecks sell for upwards of Four grand! By the looks of your Camaro.....your not afraid to dive into a project. That is a beautiful transformation! You can do it again. Fair price???? My guess is that every day that passes......the price AND value go up! I will also say I check the classics for sale on ebay often. There seems to be no shortage of Tri Five's for sale, in all conditions and prices! Good Luck!

Tom

·
Administrator
49,379 Posts
H-bomb welcome to tri-five. If the 57 is anywhere near being a solid car i would say it`s definitely worth 2300.00. The car looks pretty good in the pics but the in person Look see will tell the story. Let us know how it goes.
Terry

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Welcome! I'm in agreement with the poster above who thinks you may find considerably more rust than the owner sees......That said,you can always make an offer and negotiate the price.One advantage is that there aren't a bunch of guys standing in line to take on a project of that magnitude.....most people are smarter than us :D

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
The price is OK... even if you have some rust issues. They just don't make these cars anymore. Personally I'm not in to 4 door cars (even the hardtop) because they just don't have the resale value as a 2 dr (hardtop or sedan).

At any rate, my rule of thumb is, take the price you think it will cost to fix or restore something... and triple it. Take the time you think (or have been told), and double it... and don't get hooked into an open end deal with any body/repair shop where they want you to "pay as you go" unless you have a fairly firm written estimate on the total amount of money and time it will take. If they won't give you some sort of written estimate, go somewhere else... believe me I know.. I've been BURNED big time.
55Mike

·
Administrator
49,379 Posts
Hey Late 55 i resemble that remark. I`ve been known to get into fixes i later wish i had left alone. Why does it seem you always find more bad areas and more things wrong AFTER you pay for it and get it home? How many have had the wife give you that look when you came home with your newest pride and joy and then says " why did you bring that piece of junk home"?
Terry

·
Registered
442 Posts
Car looks to be worth every penny. However, I have had a couple of these and you have to pay attention to the main cross brace that runs under the floor between the middle door posts. This is a really fat brace that is NOT reproduced and very prone to rust. when it is gone, it is hard to fix and it is crucial to supporting the rear doors. I would say if that brace is really good or close to it AND if the dog legs are good, all else is fixable. If the brace is bad and or doglegs shot, then it is worth about half that.
Good luck. I'm in the market for another 4dr HT myself. I had one that was 100 % rust free and wish I had it back.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I have a pair of dog legs that I bought from a guy in Waukesha, WI about 18 months ago. Gary Bauer runs a company called Rocker King (From his card I have here!) I tried his web site recently, but nothing!

I have issues with my '55 doglegs so I bought these

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
i agree i say buy it i sold a 57 4 dr h.t. belair a while back no glass ,,no seats ,, no engine or trans , but not much rust .had been taken apart years ago by the guy i got it from and was in boxs i had to temporarly set it on frame to move it i sold it for 2,200 no trouble looks like your getting a lot more car there than that one was . i have a 56 4 dr ht in my pile i would not take less than 3,800 for it its complete i dont care if someone buys it or not i have not seen prices going down any. does the guy have a title ?or at least is the vin plate there if yes on both counts check the numbers to see they are the same a type 0 on an old title can cause some headaches with your state d.m.v. good luck rob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.