Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know anything about these?
Mine won't work on gas.I'm trying to find out what's wrong with it.
Will come on for 10 seconds,then shuts down.
Works perfect on electricity.
I've tested the fuses and it has gas.I also cleaned the burner and orifice.It doesn't use a thermocouple bulb.Everything else is electronic.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,Mike.
:bowtieb:

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Anybody know anything about these?
Mine won't work on gas.I'm trying to find out what's wrong with it.
Will come on for 10 seconds,then shuts down.
Works perfect on electricity.
I've tested the fuses and it has gas.I also cleaned the burner and orifice.It doesn't use a thermocouple bulb.Everything else is electronic.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,Mike.
:bowtieb:
boy Mike

When we had our campers and a motor home, never really had a issue like your experiencing , hopefully some one has experienced the same issue u are havn now :anim_25:

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has electronic ignition.When starting,it arcs to ground lighting the burner flame which is the size of a pilot light in a water heater.This part seems to be working fine.It just goes out after 10 seconds.I timed it because it's the same time everytime!
There's a solenoid in the gas line that is controled by the circuit board(via the t-stat I'm sure).The t-stat has to be good because it also controls the 110 volt part that is working.
It's 60 miles one way to the nearest repair place,so I'd like to fix it myself if possible.
hopefully someone can help.
Mike.:bowtieb:

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
Most likely it needs a new thermocouple, You can try moving the thermocouple wire a little closer under the flame.

What happens is that the heat produced by the flame during ingnition causes the two differant type metals to produce a small amount of electricity.

When the thermoucouple isn't directly under the flame or is burned down it fails to get hot enought to produce the small amout of current it takes to keep the main gas turned on, ( so sensers, ) thinking that the pilot has gone out will shut off the gas.

Otis

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Otis,but it doesn't have one!
Only the ignitor and burner!Which I cleaned anyway.
Really sounds bad but,I'm an electrical,A/C and heat contractor.
But,I've never worked on one of these.
There may be a sensor further up in the flume that I don't see,but there's no wiring to be found nor tubing from a bulb.
Only thing in the gas line is the solenoid.Two wires to the circuit board.It gets 12 volts when system is "On" and after 10 seconds the 12 volts stops.
Schematic shows nothing.
Thanks,Mike.:bowtieb:

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Several things that I can mention as I've had problems with both my camper and then my motor home which has a Norcold in it. Mine would both take several tries to get them started, I just turn it off once it tries to light then dies, and turn it back on right away this allows the gas to fill the tube and finally supply enough gas to sustain the flame. They had enough gas to light but not enough to sustain the flame after a few tries they would stay lit. Lightly tap on the solenoid to free up a possibly stuck solenoid.

My camper had a problem with the control board and I joined an RV forum similar to this one and found out that the original control boards were junk. Everyone agreed that dinosaur made the best and most reasonably priced replacement boards see their link http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com. Once I replaced mine I never had a problem again with it.

One other thing I just remembered hearing on the forum, spiders build webs and laying eggs in the burners, the flue, and the tubes, so I just clean them every once in awhile. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
One possibility is if you have a vent it could be partially blocked. On our Hans Christian sailboat we had a dual refrigeration/freezer system, gas or electric, that was fairly new installed by the previous owner. It worked fine, great even on the shore power but would experience the same symptoms you describe when going over to the gas. After consulting with marine refrigeration shops and on online forums, I went through the whole system, bleeding lines, replacing solenoids, gas lines, ignitors and even a new control board(Marine parts are expensive, some I think just because they say Marine).

That helped some it would fire off, work for about 10-15 minutes then shutdown and wouldn't restart. Finally one guy on the dock asked me if I had a vent line for the system and said to check that out. The vent exited the boat just under the deck rail, just a small line about 1 1/4 inch in diameter. The vent had a loop in it to prevent water intrusion and the exit point was right at where a dock line was in use. After taking the vent off I found a partial mouse nest about 6'' inside the line...cleaned it all out, reassembled everything and the gas side worked and after screening the vent line we never had an issue with it again.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link Troy!
And the advise from both of you.
I'll check these things and see what happens.
It stays inside except when we use it.No pest problems at all.
It's an 89 model Chevy,G-30,26' with carbed 350/turbo-400.
I've never used the fridge on gas,so it may not have been working when I bought it.
Stove and furnace work great on gas.
I'll let Ya'll know later if it starts to work.
Mike.:bowtieb:

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Your flame sensor is dirty, or you have a loose ground. The flame sensor is a rod that the flame hits. When a flame hits it, current passes through the flame from rod to ground telling the safety you have ignition. Clean it with steel wool, also make sure your ground wire is tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well,I went and looked.
I don't have one!All mine has is the ignitor and the burner.Unless it's part of the ingitor-which has only the tip sticking out of a bracket which has the high voltage spark plug type wire feeding it.
Already cleaned the burner,so tommorrow,I'll clean the ignitor-couldn't hurt.
And tap on the gas solenoid.
Thanks,Mike.:bowtieb:

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
O.K.,it's working now!
I did all that was suggested and then some other things.
Started at the house battery,and tighened connections all thru the converter,and everywhere I could find access to wiring.
Replaced a lot of connectors.
This thing is 22 years old and spends most of the time sitting,so just fooling with it and a lot of reading the website furnished by Troy.
Thanks again to everyone who tried to help.
Mike.:bowtieb::)

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
See this site is great. Now if I can ask a question... I have a little growth down between my..... :happy0030:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts