Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple of months ago my 283 spun a couple of rod bearings. I had previously replaced the camshaft and lifters due to the PO not properly breaking in the camshaft, but apparently there was damage also done to the rod bearings. I had thought about installing a 350 Vortec that I had and even putting in a crate 350, but in the end I just could not push the 283 aside!

The 283 had previously been bored .030 over and the bore was still fine so we had the block vated, cylinders honed, and new cam bearings installed. The heads needed surfaced and I had them put in better seals and hardened seats while they were doing the valve job. I installed a Edelbrock 2102 camshaft, liters and a 2703 intake so I could still use original valve covers. Still looking for a stock 57 4 barrel air cleaner.

While I had the engine out I cleaned up and detailed under the hood, installed a 700R4, power front disc brakes, new wiring harnesses and a new exhaust system. I got the car back on the road last Friday and have so far put about 300 miles on it. I still have lots of stuff that I want to do to the car, but it is so great being able to be behind the wheel and not under the hood!

Below is a "before" photo and some "after" photos, and yes that is a shade tree! No shop yet....

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I installed a Edelbrock 2012 camshaft, liters and a 2703 intake so I could still use original valve covers. Still looking for a stock 57 4 barrel air cleaner.
Looks great. The more the 283s out there the better!!

That painted intake looks good. I may have to do that to mine. I think those stock cleaners go for $200-300. :anim_25:

I cheated and just slapped a 283 sticker on my cleaner :sign0020:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Here's mine. Car has the original 283 it came with. Somebody else did a rebuild on it in the past. Everything was clean inside. A true E powerpack block with the original 2555S Carter and Oilbath Air Cleaner. I added the Corvette powder coated valve covers, HEI ignition, B&M aluminum water pump, wolf whistle from the 70's that I had all these years and a 93 CS130 alternator. (that someone on this site does not like) too bad! I kept the ramshorn exhaust manifolds, eliminated the heat riser with a spacer and still use the stainless steel choke tube. No reason to remove this engine. Not too many can say they still have their original engine. Good luck with yours. Jim

·
Registered
214 Posts
Awesome job, that baby cleaned up nice. :congrats:

Question, and I only noticed this cuz I've been tripping over mine since I took it out to oil prime the motor with a drill.... where's the wiper motor? Looks like you left a nice unpainted spot of the firewall for one.

Someday i'll clean mine up. For now, i just wanna get it running. I'm jealous. :tu

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks!! I have not yet re-installed the wiper motor... it is sitting on my work bench!
Awesome job, that baby cleaned up nice. :congrats:

Question, and I only noticed this cuz I've been tripping over mine since I took it out to oil prime the motor with a drill.... where's the wiper motor? Looks like you left a nice unpainted spot of the firewall for one.

Someday i'll clean mine up. For now, i just wanna get it running. I'm jealous. :tu

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Glad to hear you kept the 283. They are a great little motor that respond to a mild hop up very well. I am really looking forward to getting back on my 57 project and getting my 283 assembled and started for the first time. Good luck and enjoy.
Tom

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.