Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 inches of rain in a little over an hour and no electricity = flooded basement mancave!!!! It's going to be a long couple of days. Good thing for good insurance. Will be hauling items up all night.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
that stinks, i have fixed many basements from flooding ,not a pretty thing, hang in there. most basement flooding leeds to poor water proofing and improper routing of the drain pipes.
hope it works out for you . of course the 5 inch's of rain did not help

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
You have exceptional insurance if they cover damage from ground water. Only way I get that is if I have a sump pump that they know was there and it failed unless there was loss of power by the utility. Be thankful!

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You have exceptional insurance if they cover damage from ground water. Only way I get that is if I have a sump pump that they know was there and it failed unless there was loss of power by the utility. Be thankful!
Insurance adjuster was already out and they have a cleaning service and contractor coming tomorrow to get the cleanup started. New carpet and tile and a repaint is coming.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Well it could have been worse...one of the guys in my chevy club had a tornado 2 yrs ago run right through his free standing garage that was 75 ft from his house...destroyed his 57 and 64 vette....yeah could have walloped his house but he said he is more depressed that it took his cars away. His house could have been replaced and they needed new furniture anyway...gotta know - people love their cars!!

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is 2,000 sf x 2" deep of water...I need to figure how many gallons that is?? I know wet carpet is extremely heavy!

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. The rain has been almost as bad here for the past several day's. Just had a huge storm here that put water in my shop for the third time in the past few day's. The ground is just so saturated it just cant hold any more water. I built the shop in 1996 and have never had an issue with water run off until recently. Hope things get better soon.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it could have been worse...one of the guys in my chevy club had a tornado 2 yrs ago run right through his free standing garage that was 75 ft from his house...destroyed his 57 and 64 vette....yeah could have walloped his house but he said he is more depressed that it took his cars away. His house could have been replaced and they needed new furniture anyway...gotta know - people love their cars!!
I know, the cars in the shop are just fine!! Carpet can be replaced a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Its nice your insurance is cooperating with you, I'm sure that's a relief.

2000 ft.² @ 2 inches deep, I come up with 2493 gallons!

Watch your back hauling all that stuff out of the basement. Hope you have some help:anim_25:

7,082 Posts
Cars are fine is good, you and yours are fine even better. Sad your having to go through all this. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. Lloyd :bowtier:

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news but glad to hear you and your family are all okay.Keep us updated on the repairs,post some pics when you have a chance.Over here in S.A. and S.Tx. things are just the opposite,hot days,drought,and very little rain. Good luck.
Big Bob:flag4::bowtieb:

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still have several more hours of moving up boxes/furniture before the cleaning crew can be begin. Its going to be another long day.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
I can feel for you. Darn shame your stuff gets ruined. In Aug. 2011, hurricane Irene paid me a visit. Flooded my 2300 sq. ft. basement with 28" of water. Big loss of property and things you can't replace. No flood insurance. Since then, installed a Generac standby generator and a sister pump to the one already in the basement. Between the two, they can pump 8500 gph. If they can't keep up with what comes in, we're moving; plain and simple. I redid the basement last year and starting to enjoy it again. In re. to the carpet, I pumped out the basement and sucked as much water as possible out of it. I then cut it into strips that I could handle and threw it away. Good luck with your cleanup. Hope you didn't lose too many sentimental items, Carmine.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Good Luck with the clean up. Lately we're getting the heavy rains here too and it sure is getting old quick. The crazy thing is, when it finally stops we'll probably have a long dry period where we're needing rain. Crazy weather. Anyway, sorry it happened but good luck with getting everything back to normal. :shakehands: Blake

·
Registered
67,750 Posts
that stinks, good to hear your ins. co. is taking care of it. :tu

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Carpet is out, fans and dehumidifiers are running. Should be dried out by Saturday. New carpet won't be in for 10 days.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
:sign0013: to hear of your misfortune! If I lived closer I'd be glad to help you out.Glad to hear everything is working out and your Family is safe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts