Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so my belair has reached a point of no return with maintanence in that I have to take it "out of service" to do what must be done before I can get it running again.

this car has a very bad reputation with me in that it does not sit well.. it leaks fluids (part of the reason it's going down for service) and the carb tends to gum up. I've had it rebuilt 4 times in the last 10 years.

The work I'm going to be doing to the car will take time and money (more money than time.. and i'm short on BOTH..) and will include:

all new brakes front and rear, self adjusting new pads new drums new wheel cylinders, new hoses (braided stainless maybe?)

new leaf springs in the rear with new ubolts shackles bushings etc. 2" drop to maintain the current ride height since they are cracked and sag from being originals.

perhaps a small drop in the front to keep it from leaning backward

new coker tires on either stock 14x5 rims or if I can source a 14x6 or 14x7 rim that will fit, wider tires.

new exhaust system, old one literally rusted in two. I hope to take the exhaust manifolds off and sandblast and paint them with cast iron look paint.

potentially a new steering gear to get rid of extreme slop in steering

rebuild/service/"genernator" my stock generator since it cannot charge the car when in gear

fix leaking powerglide and leaking engine RMS

remove rearend, replace/upgrade never serviced stock 3rd member (posi perhaps..) sandblasted and powdercoated housing, new bearings..

potentially new brake lines, rearend lines have had broken exhaust rubbing on it for 10 years and is original lines.

new fuel tank and sending unit, new fuel tank straps

what should I do to keep my car from heading south due to lack of activity?

this is all going to take a VERY long time, and I don't want to feel anxious about letting it sit.

right now the car runs and drives, starts right up, pulls out and I can take it anywhere. A/c blows cold (it's an R-12 system..) transmission shifts.. tires are starting to dryrot but they are holding up so far..

Thanks guys. I'm not sure what I'll do, but since I'm stuck with it, I need to keep it alive and not let it rot.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
maybe fix the safety related items, drive it until more time/$ is available, do something else on the list, drive it....

·
Registered
66,282 Posts
my sig says how i feel. :)

·
Administrator
64,134 Posts
I would collect the required bits and pieces over summer whilst I~m still enjoying and driving the car then carry out the work over winter when the car usually sits idle for a couple of months.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I would collect the required bits and pieces over summer whilst I~m still enjoying and driving the car then carry out the work over winter when the car usually sits idle for a couple of months.
Just as angs1957 said... This is what I am doing. I am gathering my parts together for my '57. Then during "The Off Season" I will do my upgrades. :happy0030:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, the car is currently not safe to operate.

Here's a pic that might help explain..

The rearend is leaking, the exhaust is severely deteriorated, the original brake lines on the rearend are rusted AND the exhaust is rubbing on it and the hose.

the leaf spring on the passenger side is cracked at the shock pad..

What I need to do to fix all this and do it right will involve draining the brake system almost entirely since I have to replace all 4 wheel cylinders, and hoses, a fuel tank, take the exhaust manifolds off the car.. it's all very involved.. I've been doing bits and pieces here and there over the last decade and I'm not doing it fast enough it seems.. car's getting worse.

I need to either grab the bull by the horns.. or go milk cows instead..

·
Registered
298 Posts
I rememeber I had those thoughts a few yrs back.I did collect parts for a couple of yrs before.Then one day decieded thats it and took her down.Car was out of servise for about 5 months then into to shop for another 4months to finish the body work and paint. was tough not able to drive it. but afterward glad I did.Not sure to this day if I would of ever finished it if I didn't due that.Still needs some upgrading but thats what winter is for..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts