Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you run into something else later just post it and I'll try to help.
Thanks. I'm just getting started I purchased the car new years day and it's been in the driveway because I already have a car in the garage thats done and doesn't get parked outside and with it being winter I haven't bothered with it. To top that off I needed major surgery shortly after getting it and couldn't lift over 10 lbs. I'm feeling great now going back to work Monday and can't wait to get rocking on this project. I'll post pics as I progress to get hopefully helpful criticism on how to proceed. That's if I can figure out how to post pics I used to use Photobucket but can't it's too expensive now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just click on the icon to th right of the chain links below, then drag the photo in. There are other methods but I have never used any of them.
Great advise on two piece floor install.Im starting the starting the same Process and found it to be a big help. Im doing a 4/2 door conversion and wonder how much bracing I need when the passenger side Is still intact including both doors and center post. (and half the floor)? Specifcally before Cutting out half the floor AND outer rocker? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I would brace from inside the A pillar all of the way back to the rear tire well before cutting out the rockers underneath. Mind you I have never done that before but that is what comes to mind. I would also brace the brace itself to the top of the car and also across to the other side. Hopefully someone who has done this before can help you better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would brace from inside the A pillar all of the way back to the rear tire well before cutting out the rockers underneath. Mind you I have never done that before but that is what comes to mind. I would also brace the brace itself to the top of the car and also across to the other side. Hopefully someone who has done this before can help you better.
Will add the vertical brace to roof (already braced Apillar to wheelwell) and maybe across to center post.More bracing=more confidence cutting out old sheet metal.
Thanks a Lot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
i am getting ready to install a one piece floor. i would be glad to take measurements for u.let me know
I'll use any measurements you provide thanks. I'm just getting started got the Dr side outer rocker fitted yesterday weather permitting I'll work on it a little more today. Got a ways to go I'm really happy so far the Dr rocker fit really good and the door gaps look great. Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I do have one request for anybody that can help. I need a pic of a floor cut cross section or a new one piece floor not installed yet. I'm looking to see how the inner rocker the braces and the floor all meet together.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Looks like you are ready to lift the body up and roll the chassis out of the way.
Not at this point yet. The body is so rotted and flexible I want to get more structural things done like the braces and floors. I got the frame shimmed up on Jack stands to keep it level for now. The frame will get some old factory welds gone over then cleaned and painted eventually. I think in it's current condition it would be a bad idea for me to take it off the frame at this point.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Worked on the right side today. It's better and it's worse. Doesn't matter I'll just weld new metal in. Got pics of the fancy work that somebody did years ago. Found two layers of replacement metal in the B pillar the A pillar is surprisingly well intact just rust pitted.
Automotive tire Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Rim
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bumper
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
What would you do. My car came with the original quarter openings that were cut out and they are in really good condition with rust at the bottom corners. And it also came with the big opening gasser racing look replacement panels. They both look good I'm partial to the original.

Vehicle Car Wheel Tire Motor vehicle
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I'm gonna say original. A lot of gasser guys won't agree. The original is classy in it's own right. However, if you are going to put wide tires on it you may have to move the springs inward if you don't cut out the fender wells. It really depends on your plans for the car.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts