Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated in another post, my power steering does not work. I have to supply all the power and it is hard to turn. Both hands and a couple of grunts.
I have read most of the thousands of on line articles and tried their remedy. I have turned the wheel back and forth at least 1000 times and the reservoir bubbled a lot at times. The level of fluid never went down as I expected it to.
If any one has thoughts on how to fix or what might be wrong I would be deeply indebted to you.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
An update on what kind of power steering you have would help. ???
Do you see fluid circulateing in the tank? Could the lines be crossed? Is there a restriction in the return line?

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An update on what kind of power steering you have would help. ???
Do you see fluid circulateing in the tank? Could the lines be crossed? Is there a restriction in the return line?
Sorry Don for omitting that bit of info, it is a later series c4 r&p and the pump is 2006 Vette. I am not sure about the circulation but there are bubbles that surface when I turn the wheel and it does get a little foamy.
I checked and the lines seem to be correct, lower is hi pressure to the rack and the upper is return to reservoir.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,545 Posts
you have your hoses correct . I have the same setup on my 61 vette it was a pain to get the air out of. I got a gallon of fluid and pourd it in the reservoir with the return hose running into a can with the engin idling (also cap off the reservoir return inlet . did this 3 times to get the air out !!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: then it worked OK

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

I jury rigged the hoses and the pump put out a flow of fluid till the reservoir ran out, so I thought it must be the rack.
What an expense and major undertaking to change it out and what if it's not the rack? Just because there was flow doesn't mean there's enough pressure.
So I bought a test gauge with line and fittings on line Monday. They arrived today and I hooked it up and ZERO pressure to the rack, I closed the vale and ZERO pressure.
Tomorrow I am going to test the gauge to make sure it's not defective and start taking the pump off.
Wish me luck.
Jim

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I connected the gauge to my compressor and it read 100 #'s so I guess it works , it's the power steering pump that does not work. I bought the GM crate ls2 4 years ago so I'm sure there is no warranty left even though it was started for the first time a couple of weeks ago.
Jim

·
27,084 Posts
I think there is a pressure relief valve in the pump that may be stuck open or not installed. I don't know where it is on your pump but maybe Jalapeno (member) does.

·
12,256 Posts
I agree with Don. A PS pump isn't that complicated and it's likely that it's something simple if it's a new pump. I think the pressure relief valve is easy to get to on a modern pump like that. I'm pretty sure I have essentially the same pump on my 502.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, It is a new pump and this is a pic of how it should look

It is very difficult to get off, the pulley is solid and covers all the bolts.
If it is a relief valve, that would be great. Guess I still have to remove it to check.
Jim

·
27,084 Posts
I think the relief valve is under the pressure line fitting, if you can get that off without removeing the pump.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I also suspect the pressure relief valve in the pump.

It will be under the pressure fitting, in your pic the red plug is inserted into the pressure fitting (the pressure hose attaches here). Looks like you can get to it without removing the pump itself.:)

The valve has a spring behind it, so when you remove the fitting, if the valve IS NOT jammed, the valve will pop up a little. If the valve IS jammed, it will be further down that bore. Take a screwdriver and lightly tap it to get it to spring back up. Reinstall the pressure fitting. Bleed with wheels off the ground, fill with fluid and turn back and forth until no more fluid can be added. Then start engine, keep filling with fluid and turning, until full. If the pump is working properly you should hear it draw down a bit at each steering lock.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts