Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just before I left on vacation, My 56 Wagon was running rough. It would barely idle, but it ran. I got off work tonight and tried to start it and it coughed a little, but that was it. The car has a '60 283 and a Mallory Electronic ignition. I pulled the cap, and the rotor looks new. Any suggestions where I should start looking???
Thanks!!!!!

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
I got fuel. I can smell it in the carb and see it in the filter. I guess I will just have to start with the plugs. Thanks!!
Is it really fuel or is it a mixture of gas and water? How old is the fuel? I wouldn't suspect ignition until I made sure the fuel is good. Try some Heet water treatment.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a whole hour to work on the 56 tonight:

I put Heet in the gas.
I poured fresh Gas in the carb.
The coil wire looked rough so I put a new one on.

I got a couple of sputters but it still wouldn't fire.

I pulled out my Timing light and cranked it to see if if it would show me the plugs are firing and I got nothing. I am not sure if it needs to be running for the Timing light to work or not, but it didn't light up. I ran out of daylight and had to quit.

Any suggestions??

·
12,256 Posts
Sounds like you have no spark to me. First, make sure you have 12V at the positive side of the coil while cranking. If it's a stock points type distributor make sure it's working correctly. A continuity light on the negative (distributor) side of the coil with the other end grounded should blink as you crank the engine. If it doesn't, either there is no power to the distributor through the coil, or the points aren't opening.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought points too. I pulled the cap and it is a Mallory Electronic Distributor. I have never had one of these and don't know anything about them. I am working Crazy hours at work and it is eating at me all day.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
pull the spark plugs, i'd bet they are gas fouled. And I'd suspect the Mallory electronic dist. I've hated those things since the 70's.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
yank out the mallory and go to auto zone or such and get a point type dist. for a '69 camaro V8. wire it to the ballast resistor, drop it in and it will start.
i have waved me hands and clapped hallelujah...........

when it starts i accept donations !!!

J/K.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
As mentioned>>> dead module.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Well ??

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had a car given to me.....To part out. 77 Buick Wagon. Spent Sunday loading and hauling to a friends shop. back to overtime at work, haven't had any time to even lift my wagon's hood!!! Will update when I know!!

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
should be big 10 bolt rear? with maybe large drums or maybe the alumuinum drums?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts