Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The results shown are from stepping down a 4 step ladder and missing the last step, falling backwards and hitting my head on a cement block wall. Seven hours in a packed ER room later, cat scan and 3 staples and then home.
So seniors, stay off ladders.
On a side note, so many people in the ER waiting room. Some waiting for an available bed. Some leaving after waiting hours. What is going on. I felt so bad for all those seniors who were waiting longer than me and those who could not stay any longer.
Eye Dog Liver Carnivore Fawn

Head Eyelash Liver Fawn Whiskers

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,437 Posts
I feel your pain on both subjects (pain from a split head and the time in the ER with an Elderly relative waiting to be seen).

Should be a good recovery.

·
Registered
68,228 Posts
yikes! feel your pain. slipped on ice a few years ago, concussion was the result. don't even know how long i was out. ------------> sad times, reason for ER so crowed is simple (political, don't want to go there).

Reactions: Icantdrive55

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
If wearing glasses with bifocal / trifocal lenses your depth perception is altered when looking down suggest single vision lenses for normal use & switch to readers for close work.
Nasty looking wound hope you heal up quickly without headaches.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Balance sure begins to suck in your seventies I just finished installing a engine in a yukon I bought with a bad 5.3 can't tell you how many times I almost hit the floor tripping on crap I had laying all over the floor going to have to be better about keeping tools & stuff picked up or it's bound to happen to me too. Hope you heal quickly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
yikes! feel your pain. slipped on ice a few years ago, concussion was the result. don't even know how long i was out. ------------> sad times, reason for ER so crowed is simple (political, don't want to go there).
If it's simple why don't they fix it? Literally every time I've ever been to an ER over the last 20 years it was several hours before anyone actually took a look at what was going. Sometimes the lobby was empty sometimes it was full but every time it was at least 2 hours before any preliminary work was accomplished. I had a motorcycle accident four years back and that was the final straw for me. The only way I'd visit an emergency room now is if I am unable to prevent being brought there.

That said - Fuzzy, I'm glad to read you're looking at a good recovery.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yikes! I'm not sure which picture makes my palms sweat more - the before or after. In retrospect, had you known the wait in the ER was going to be so long, you probably have a staple gun in your garage somewhere...:ROFLMAO: That's gonna be tender for a while so be careful and I hope you heal up quickly!

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
8,880 Posts
... and wear a hard hat? or footballhelmet? :)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
At 75 I am very careful getting on a stepladder and don't get as high up as I used to. Falling is one of the fears I have at my age. It is so common. Hope you heal quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Pushing 71, been on the roof & working from ladders for two weeks. I kinda get the feeling it’s just like anything else, practice makes perfect. It’s the window of getting to perfect that is problematic!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Glad you're on the mend. On a sidenote, wife wanted to change direction of bedroom ceiling fan. Lost balance, fell off, and broke upper arm. Easy to lose balance as you get older.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Yes, ladders are dangerous especially the shorter ones as it's easy to miss a step.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Around here, the er is always full.
Lots of folks with hang nails, headache, his kid with a skinned knee, etc, etc.
There's another, that I'll not post. No need for the gestapo to get their panties in a wad.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
The thing with ladders is that if you are not on them regularly, you are out of practice so to speak and more prone to an injury. I am hardly ever on a ladder so I try to be extra extra careful when I have to get on one.

glad you are ok.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,474 Posts
Ouch! glad all checked out ok!

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
9,025 Posts
That sure looks like it hurt, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Personally, I'm an accident waiting to happen. I seem to fall quite often. I'm really lucky I haven't broke any bones. Just the other day I was standing on a large rock at the top of a steep hollow (a hollar down here) where I had some fill dumped. I sort of looked at the situation and stepped back away from the edge. A fall would have probably been face first 6' down at an angle on top of a steep pile of old bricks and mortar along with large chunks of broken concrete another 15' down. I pictured it happening and laying at the bottom, and my cell phone fell out of my pocket with no way to get help until my wife came hour in a couple hours and started looking for me. And if I were unconscious, who knows how long it would take for her to find me.

I can't wait until I get some dirt to cover all the sharp stuff. Falling down a dirt hill wouldn't be good, but a lot better than it is now! I'll try to stay out of that area until then.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That can happen to anyone regardless of age, it’s just that us older guys do not do as well with injuries at our older age.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
9,025 Posts
That can happen to anyone regardless of age, it’s just that us older guys do not do as well with injuries at our older age.
This is where I was working adding some support to the building, then standing on the rock with the brick on it.

Plant Grass Bedrock Natural landscape Groundcover

The building's main means of support is a couple feet in on 10 year old fill (slate and some dirt), the support you see is just me helping it out since there is some weight in that corner. I'm sure it will settle some more so I'll be out there again. I may dump a couple bags of concrete on/in the rocks and water it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts