Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,873 Posts
The building's main means of support is a couple feet in on 10 year old fill (slate and some dirt), the support you see is just me helping it out since there is some weight in that corner. I'm sure it will settle some more so I'll be out there again. I may dump a couple bags of concrete on/in the rocks and water it.
All the concrete will do is just make a blob like a scab, and only on the surface. Good thing you don't have earthquakes back there or that building, and everything in it might be part of the hillside.

And I'm glad you didn't fall down that thing. That would be an experience to remember for eternity.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
9,025 Posts
All the concrete will do is just make a blob like a scab, and only on the surface. Good thing you don't have earthquakes back there or that building, and everything in it might be part of the hillside.

And I'm glad you didn't fall down that thing. That would be an experience to remember for eternity.
The building has been there for about 7 months and never had any support in that corner until just the other day. I added support all the way around it just for good measure. The main support is under 4x4's that are 3' inboard on each side (on solid ground).

I'd throw the concrete into the voids from the bottom up, or dump it from the top then go down (the safe route) and push it in between the rocks.

I am in an earthquake zone, felt one back when I moved here. I didn't have anything falling on me so I thought it was pretty cool and ran outside to hear it better. It rumbled through the mountains. Come to think of it, although the building is insured through my business insurance, I probably don't have earthquake coverage.

Wood Floor Landscape Concrete Shade
Building Road surface Tree Wood Plant

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I'm attending a funeral tomorrow for a brother who fell off a ladder. That's all I can say.

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
I had a similar event with the same kind of ladder. I was on the third step of the ladder when one leg of the ladder broke (rotted wood) and I went backward, landing flat on my back and one elbow. Broke five ribs. Eventually had 2+ liters of fluid drained from my pleural cavity and a short time later developed COPD which I feel was caused by the damage.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
I'm attending a funeral tomorrow for a brother who fell off a ladder. That's all I can say.
So sorry for your loss. My apologies for taking the thread so far off topic.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I still use ladders but I am so careful. Have a solid base and slowly go up with hands and feet planted firmly. I also don't go very high, never again go on the roof and never stretch out to reach something off balance. I'm 81.
John

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
So sorry for your loss. My apologies for taking the thread so far off topic.
Thank you for your kind thoughts- and No worry's, I'm always interested in what's going on on this forum- have a good ( and safe) day!! ** ( I think your post is interesting- never know where your going to learn something!!)

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
I just saw that picture again and it reminded me of an incident. As youngish adults (30?) we were in the high school gymnasium playing volleyball. I ran to the water fountain for a drink. A friend of mine decided she was going to beat me to it and passed me, tangling our legs up and both falling. She slid backwards on her butt and her head hit the porcelain drink fountain that was mounted into a concrete block wall. The back of her head actually smashed the porcelain! She went to the emergency room for a few staples. It really was her fault but I felt just as bad anyway and followed them to the hospital to make sure she was OK.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
8,880 Posts
Tony? And just exactly HOW was it HER fault?? :) Sounds like you both shared some of that fault... (A gentleman would have let the lady go first - without racing?).. :)

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Tony? And just exactly HOW was it HER fault?? :) Sounds like you both shared some of that fault... (A gentleman would have let the lady go first - without racing?).. :)
Her fault because I was on my way first, I should have said more like jogging than running. She sprinted across from another game next to mine and got her legs tangled in mine. I didn't exactly know what happened until after it happened, plus she said it was her fault. I didn't know it was a race until she passed me! She came from behind.
Had I known, I would have let her go first.

·
Registered
1955 Nomad
672 Posts
OUCH! Good thing you survivied.

I was having dinner w/a friend and we were just talking about falling off roofs. He gets a call from his GF that her dad just fell off a ladder hanging christmas lights...AND DIED!

Uggh.

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
Her fault because I was on my way first, I should have said more like jogging than running. She sprinted across from another game next to mine and got her legs tangled in mine. I didn't exactly know what happened until after it happened, plus she said it was her fault. I didn't know it was a race until she passed me! She came from behind.
Had I known, I would have let her go first.
She must have been a pretty hard headed gal anyway, if her head broke the porcelain fixture! :) You always want to get out of the way of such gals.. :)

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
She must have been a pretty hard headed gal anyway, if her head broke the porcelain fixture! :) You always want to get out of the way of such gals.. :)
But, but, she has REALLY long legs! Oh, I'm just picturing the whole thing again and now I recall holding her head, I think she was passed out for just a couple seconds but that seemed like an eternity. Then I saw the blood on my hand and the broken porcelain. Still to this day if I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed her head broke that. Maybe it happened to be a weak spot?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hope it heals good. How many engineers does it take to change a light bulb? Takes one (me) at 30 two minutes. Still takes one at 60 but now it takes 20 minutes to set up with a platform ladder for a good three point hold, get in position, check stability with one hand off the ladder trading a foot for the hand, then do the drill again this tome leaning my head back to see the bulb, check list done, now remove the old bulb place it in the platforms rm or hand off to wife and grab the new one and screw it in. Then get off the ladder and take a coffee break, then back up and replace the globe, then the 20 minute tear down and clean up. I ain’t falling off no stinking ladder but it sucks taking a half hour or more to change a light bulb and I hurts even if you don’t fall off. As my Dad always said, you gotta be tough and smart to get old.

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
Pretty smart.. . OR really tough.. :)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts