Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the NSRA Nats. in Louisville, KY
This year all their events are Street Rod Plus events as vehicles only have to be 30 years old to enter. Saturday I heard they had 10,182 vehicles there. There sure was allot of TRI 5's there and I would think the majority of the vehicles were Chevrolet.
The host hotel for the Flint,MI 100 years Chevrolet & 50 years Vintage Chevrolet of America show is now booking rooms.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I was there with my car Fri/Sat. I thought it was a good time!

Tell us more about the Flint show...that sounds fun (even if it's in Flint). ;) I went to college there so I can say that. :D

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
They (NSRA) must have changed there rules...Used to be 1949 or older I guess if you want to survive you go with the flow
The recent CCI magazine has an editorial about NSRA changing the rules and the die hards not liking it.

·
Registered
66,282 Posts
cool larry. :party0031: .......................Wheres the pics

·
Registered
166 Posts
Must be alot of hard core street rodders dropping out if the numbers are down that low including the 30 year old cars! I was there year before last and I think it was 12,000 and that was only 1948 and older!
The economy and alot of people jobless is really taking its toll on the car shows and other things for that matter!
The Steet Rod Nationals is a great show! If a car guy gets bored something is bad wrong! All the cars and vendor booths is a car guys DREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Yeah, they're dropping NSRA and going to Goodguys.:stupid:
(which has always been open to cars up to 1972)
I guess they're trying to get some folks back.
Plus a lot of guys are getting the bigger, roomier "newer" cars because they're tired of being cramped into a 20s, 30s coupe or sedan.
I've been to the Nats two or three times and Midwest Nats in Springfield once.
There's just tooooo many cars there to see them all. I like smaller events.
Now, if you're looking for parts and vendors, the nats are the time to go because they're all there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, they're dropping NSRA and going to Goodguys.:stupid:
(which has always been open to cars up to 1972)
I guess they're trying to get some folks back.
Plus a lot of guys are getting the bigger, roomier "newer" cars because they're tired of being cramped into a 20s, 30s coupe or sedan.
I've been to the Nats two or three times and Midwest Nats in Springfield once.
There's just tooooo many cars there to see them all. I like smaller events.
Now, if you're looking for parts and vendors, the nats are the time to go because they're all there.
You hit the nail on the head with bigger,roomier cars! I sold a 56 210 Handyman wagon I built to buy a 1934 Chevy Sedan (choped top).About a year and a half owning it I traded it for the 55 I have now.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i've been a member of nsra for 25 years. i was open minded about the change to open the events up to 1980 vehicles. when i saw a fiat x19, lots of vdubs, a winnebago, a casket car and lots of other stuff come thru the gates i kinda of had a change of heart. there were a little over 10,000 cars registered and it seemed 3000 to 4000 were not street rods which tells me that nsra lost about 5000 to 6000 street rods to their new rules in louisville. while they may keep attendence up it's sad that they couldn't leave that show 1948 and older. i attend super chevy to see chevys, the shelby spring fling to see shelbys and street rod events to see street rods. opening it up to 1969 american made vehicles would have made alot more sense to me if they felt a change was needed.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Hopefully this is not true but I heard rumor that the NSRA Nationals in Carlie PA was boycotted by a lot of Street Roders as they were upset that their show was opened to 72. I had been to that show many times with some stretrod buddies and they always pulled in about 5,000 street rods. I heard that attendance as ay way down this year as part of that boycott.
I do think there are a lot of shows that can surive as just a Streetrod only show and Indy and Carlisle are two of them. They should have ben more selective as to which shows they switched and not try and cash in like Goodguys has. There are enough shows in the Hobby to cater to everyone. I liked that goodguys opened it up but wish the NSRA would have left well enough alone! Although a few Shows needed to be opened up as the numbers were low to begin with (Just my 2 Cents worth)!

·
Registered
510 Posts
i think like you. some shows may have neded help with attendance but louisville, knoxville didn't. i'm sure carlisle didn't either. evansville is an independant rod run and draws between 4 and 5 thousand cars regularly and registration is up this year. they kept the 1948 and older rule. also no trailered cars or caskets. seems to be working for them. when the vsra has their 1st show this fall in east tennessee i guess we'll see how many pre 49s show up. i for one am anxiously waiting to attend.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sorry guys NSRA has never had an event I Carlisle Pa. Goodguys did and it was great fun but didn't draw much over a thousand cars. The reason was not enough hotel space in the Carlisle area. York Pa is where NSRA has there Pa. event. I think they made a mistake going to 1980 cut off. I would have liked to have seen them try 1964 back or even 1972 back. N.S.R.A. Not. Street . Rods . Anymore. Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts