Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank has always leaked and has got worse. So I decided to replace the O Ring which is easy enough BUT after replacing it I still have a leak when tank is full. I have seen other postings and seems like this is a problem with the Tri 5's. I know one solution is don't fill the tank BUT if it worked when it was new should work now.

Thinking about trying to buy a larger O ring. Has anyone had to buy bigger Oring and if so where did you purchase. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Spanky 57

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
A larger o-ring isn't going to get it done. The filler neck is hard enough to install with the one that's supposed to be used. I don't think you could even put it together.

On the other hand, you may want to see if the o-rings you are using are undersize, in which case getting the right one would help. I'm not familiar with the o-ring dimension specs, but if you measure and post the dimensions, I'm sure someone would help.

One thing you might want to take a look at is whether the tube in the tank where the o-ring seals is round. While you're at it, check the groove in the filler neck too. Either one being out of round will give you potential for a leak.

·
Administrator
49,960 Posts
Did you install the O-ring dry? If so iy may have been pinched and nicked or ended up not in the correct location. I used plumbers grease on mine while installing it.

Terry

·
Registered
48 Posts
o ring

Had same problem, went down to NAPA and found the o ring I needed, worked great. Part # 727-2327. I agree, don't put it in dry.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I seem to remember many moons ago a post about some under sized O-Rings being sold for the filler neck... Run to NAPA and try the one billcocarb suggested...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O ring

Thanks to everyone! I thought the same thing about the larger O-Ring not fitting the one I have was tight but as we all know that doesn't mean it is the correct one. Kinda looks skinny even though the outside diameter seems right. So I will go to NAPA and check out that one. Really appreciate the part #

If this works maybe I can keep the wife a little longer.

spanky 57

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
If you have a 57 the vent hose is also another source of leaks in that same area, make sure the hose is still flexible and tighten up the clamps on it. Also if you replace it dont use heater hose, make sure to get fuel rated 1/2" id hose.

Regards, Robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts