Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys,

I have a pro street 55 with a Vortech supercharger, dart little M / Shafiroff block with about 7 PSI of boost on the street. This car really RIPS, and I am very happy with the build. What is the trick to getting the front of the the valley to seal? I push out oil under boost, and it is super annoying. I have tried to seal it several times, and the last round used grey VW gasket RTV with the valley gasket. It is not pushing out.
( I cleaned the prep surface nice too) I run dual breathers, which are working, would love to get this mess to seal properly, and stop the exxon valdez in my driveway. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Bump to the top ttt

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
hello guys,

I have a pro street 55 with a Vortech supercharger, dart little M / Shafiroff block with about 7 PSI of boost on the street. This car really RIPS, and I am very happy with the build. What is the trick to getting the front of the the valley to seal? I push out oil under boost, and it is super annoying. I have tried to seal it several times, and the last round used grey VW gasket RTV with the valley gasket. It is not pushing out.
( I cleaned the prep surface nice too) I run dual breathers, which are working, would love to get this mess to seal properly, and stop the exxon valdez in my driveway. Any ideas?
Would you consider using a crankcase evacuation system off the breathers to the collectors?

paul

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
hello guys,
I have tried to seal it several times, and the last round used grey VW gasket RTV with the valley gasket. It is not pushing out.
I do not understand "It is not pushing out".

Sometimes you need to put a lot more sealant in the front and back because of the block decking etc.

I had to redo one because I did not take the time to (dry-run), lay the intake on with the gaskets in place and look at the gap. I had almost 3/16 gap. I did not allow for that much gap the first time.

Also the second time I center punched a bunch of pock marks on the block in that area front and rear to give the RTV some bite.

But vabeach56wagon (paul) has a good question for you.

Good luck
Don

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, the vacuum pump would fix it, but this is a street car, and the Vortech supercharger and pulleys take a lot of room in there. Vac pumps don't live a long life in traffic / street.

Since this post i asked some other gear heads, and consensus was to use Permatex "great stuff" in a tube.

your idea of dimpling the block in the vally is an excellent idea. thank you.

My gap looked tight when i sealed it, sadly, I have not been able to get it sealed for years. I will try the permatex and your dimples.

thanks guys

·
Registered
38,748 Posts
I think we need to separate some variables here.

The whistles in the header collectors might be sufficient if the problem only occurs under full power. Otherwise a vacuum pump is going to be needed.

Vac pumps don't live a long life in traffic / street.
Let's see. You have a blower, an aftermarket block, you probably burn a lot of fuel, and probably burn up tires too. And you don't want to change a vacuum pump every once in a while?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
just 2 breathers? i don`t get it. ya need more, no?
Non technical explanation.
This evacuation system used hoses that connect to the valve covers and to the header collectors.
At high rpm, the high-speed exhaust gases rushing through the collector causing vacuum in the hose, in turn reducing crankcase pressures.

You cannot use regular valve cover breathers in addition to these.

Some racers use them. But if mad55chevy's leaks when parked it will not help that.

Don

·
Registered
237 Posts
DONT USE THE END SEAL GASKETS AT ALL ONLY ENGINE RTV.
DIMPLE THE INTAKE AND BLOCK RAIL WITH A AUTOMATIC PUNCH TO GIVE IT TEETH. USE ULTRA GREY HIGH TEMP RTV. (MOPAR /CHEVY )OR TOYOTA SEAL PACKING /DARK GREY RTV . ITS COMPATIBLE WITH ALL OILS AND ALUMINUM .
IT TAKES FOR EVER TO SET . IT DRIES HARD BUT PLIABLE . PUT A HEALTHY BEAD ON IT. LET IT SET UP FOR 5-10 MIN AND DROP INTAKE DOWN . HAND TIGHT BOLTS TO GET EVEN .WAIT 5-10 MINS AND TORQUE IT DOWN .LET STAND TILL HARD .(OVER NIGHT IS BEST ON INTAKES BEFORE START UP .)

IF YOU HAVE A BLOWER CAM PUT A GRAND NATIONAL/GNX PCV IN COVER AND FEED IT VACUUM .IT SEALS UP UNDER BOOST PUT THE EVACUATOR WISTLES IN COLLECTORS REDUCERS AND PUT HOSES TO THE SCREEN BREATHERS .
THIS WILL PULL CRANK CASE VACUUM AT IDLE USING BOTH EVEN WITH A TIGHT CAM AND AT WIDE OPEN IT WILL PULL TO . ALOT OF GUYS NOW TURN 2- 1$ STORE WATER BOTTLE INTO A TRICK PUKE TANK AND USE A/N PUSHLOCK -10 FITTINGS ON THE COVER INSTEAD OF THE UGLY OLD SCHOOL MOPAR BREATHERS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.